06 | speculations

SUSAN'S INSIDES SQUIRMED involuntarily at the change of topic.

"Good question," she nodded. "I'm asking myself the same thing."

"I mean," Peter said. The back of his neck was up straight and judging by the way how his voice sounded like he didn't hear Susan's words, he seemed to be looking straight ahead absentmindedly. "It looked like it didn't notice me. Or even know me. Me. Of course, it's a Minotaur so why should I expect some recognition from the brute? But still..."

Peter's voice seemed to fade into the background in Susan's head as she pondered at his words. She looked back at the unpleasant event that happened to her only a few hours ago. She remembered how the huge, beefy creature advanced murderously at her and how its paralyzing eyes were fixed on her. Then she remembered how the Minotaur had its full attention on her and only her and how it swatted Peter aside, not even giving him a second glance to make sure he was dead. The Minotaur continued advancing towards her as if it was there with the sole purpose of--

Susan froze.

--her.

She felt dizzy. Her thighs shook involuntarily. Her grip around Peter's waist tightened. Her hands that were clasped on his stomach, felt clammy and sweaty.

The Minotaur was sent there to kill you, her brain managed to annoyingly make it official in her head despite the dizziness that she felt.

But that's ridiculous and impossible, a small part of her countered. I've never even met anyone besides Mr. Tumnus and His Majesty, King Peter the Magnificent. And it's barely one day! Who could I have possibly offended that fast?

"You said you're from a place called Finchley?" Peter asked in front of her, jerking her back to the present and interrupting her terrifying train of thought. She felt slightly grateful to the blonde haired King.

"Yes." Susan wished her voice didn't come out as a nervous squeak.

"From another world?"

"Yes."

"Are you sure about that?" he asked, his head slightly tilting back to look at her behind him again. "You're not lying?"

"Yes, I am perfectly sure about that." Susan, despite her racing heartbeat, couldn't help but rolling her eyes. "And why would I lie?"

Peter didn't answer.

Aslan. Mr. Tumnus. The Minotaur. Prophecy.

If he had any tinge of doubt that Susan and her siblings had anything to do with the new prophecy, now he was sure. Why else would Aslan instruct the nature spirits to keep a look out of humans wandering in Narnia and keep it a secret to him and Caspian? Why else would Aslan want to talk to Mr. Tumnus and send him to the fauns' house and personally escort him back to Cair Paravel when Peter knew the Lion would have no difficulty in appearing in Lantern Waste himself? And why else would a Minotaur, a minion of an enemy who no one hasn't seen nor heard for two years, conveniently showed up in a place where the humans from another world appeared?

"Peter?" Susan's voice interrupted his thoughts.

The blonde-haired King took a deep breath. He knew that if he'd voice his realization out loud, he'd scare Susan. She had just arrived in a completely strange and different world. And she'd find out that her and her siblings fate are tied with this said completely strange and different world which also mean a great deal amount of pain in their futures (possibly; prophecies almost always mean pain) she'd probably take Edmund and Lucy immediately back to their home world. He wouldn't blame her.