39 | pinings

Aslan was waiting for them by the thrones of the Kings of Narnia.

At the sight of the Great Lion, the Archenlanders staggered to a short stop before continuing to walk down towards Aslan with awe, amazement, and surprise on their faces. It was the first time they ever saw Aslan and he didn't fail to make them all afraid, shock, and speechless.

Elizabeth elicited a small squeak when she first laid her eyes on Aslan but Peter quickly reassured that, yes, even though Aslan was very dangerous and that he wasn't a tame lion, he hadn't killed innocent people yet so if Elizabeth has no plan, not even a slightest part of a plan, to endanger Narnia, she was in no danger in becoming lion food. This made the Lady of Archenland laugh a little.

Susan, who was ahead of them, walking with her hand tucked into Caspian's left arm, resisted the urge to turn around to look at them partly because of Caspian and partly because Aslan had his cat eyes fixed intently on hers.

Before Susan met Lady Elizabeth of Archenland, she thought she'd immediately hate her. Despite of telling herself that she had no right to be jealous, she couldn't help but think over and over about the proposed marriage between Elizabeth and Peter years ago. Obviously, it had not gone through because if it had, surely Caspian or Peter himself would have already told her. But who knows what would happen now? Narnia is on a brink of another war. Peter and Caspian would need all the help they could get. And what would be a more better way to establish a permanent alliance with Archenland than to marry the niece of the King of Archenland to a King of Narnia? Everytime Susan thinks about it, she felt a twisting sensation in her gut that irritated her.

But when Susan met her just a few minutes ago, Elizabeth turned out to be really nice. She kept gushing about how she adored her and how she couldn't wait to meet her the minute she got Peter's invitation that it made very difficult for Susan to dislike her for clinging to Peter's arm tightly.

Susan's thoughts were cut short when they got to the foot of the stairs to the thrones. Edmund and Lucy went to Susan's other side. Peter and the Archenlanders proceeded to Caspian's other side. Then they all knelt before Aslan, with all their guests behind them following suit.

Susan glanced up at Aslan for a few seconds and found the Lion's cat eyes fixed on Caspian. His gaze to the King of Narnia was almost sad and full of pity, as if he was watching Caspian writhing painfully on the floor. Then he turned his gaze to the royal family of Archenland.

"Welcome, Lune, King of Archenland," Aslan spoke, his deep and powerful voice vibrating around the enormous Great Hall. "Welcome, Cor and Corin, Princes of Archenland. Welcome, Elizabeth, Lady of Archenland." Aslan faced the Great Hall. "Rise, Kings, Protectors, people and guests of Narnia."

As one, the Pevensie siblings, the Kings of Narnia, the Archenlanders and the attendees of the ball rose up to their feet.

"Your Grace," King Lune spoke. "It is an incredible honor to finally be acquainted to you."

"The honor is all mine, King Lune," Aslan answered. "I trust that you and your family are in good health?"

"Yes, we are, Aslan," the King of Archenland inclined his head in a slight bow.

Susan risked a glance at Cor, Corin, and Elizabeth. Corin had his jaw hanging slightly open. Cor was looking at Aslan, unblinking. Elizabeth's face was a little red as she stared up at the Lion.

"Excellent," the Lion said. His lips broke into a smile. "Welcome to Cair Paravel."

Aslan turned his attention back to the Great Hall. "We are here to celebrate the success of King Peter's diplomatic negotiations to Calormen and King Caspian's successful errand in Lone Islands. Yet again, they prove that they are the best rulers Narnia had ever seen these many centuries. Let no other things trouble you tonight. Enjoy yourselves. Let the feast begin."