22 | waylay

And they are stupid enough to know not to try.

Maybe those words offended them or they were just really itching to attack, the Witch's minions broke into the forest with roars and yelps that nearly broke Susan's eardrums.

She wanted to scream. She wanted to run and hide. But it seemed that she was frozen in place, staring at a leopard jumping out of the nearby bushes that she had been staring earlier (she knew there was something hiding behind it) that would've decapitated her if Nikabrik hadn't shot it with an arrow between its eyes.

"You're Majesty!" Nikabrik yelled, wrestling a hag to the ground. "Look out!"

Susan unfroze.

She swerved to the right, barely missing a wolf which had just jumped behind her. The wolf turned to face her and snarled. It paced back to attack her but before it could, Susan drew an arrow from her quiver. And, within a blink of an eye, killed the wolf with an arrow embedded on its brain.

Susan's eyes widened of what she had done. Her blue eyes darted to her hands, then to her bow.

She had killed a wolf. She-- an English schoolgirl who barely could've punch a bully on the face-- actually killed a wolf.

She barely had time to reminisce on it further, however, because a screaming hag was attacking her. With a yelp, Susan ducked, hitting the wretched creature with her bow with all her might. Luckily, Susan's bow (which was specifically crafted by the blacksmiths in Caspian's orders and at her design) had sharp curve on either ends. The hag staggered a step backward, clutching its midsection. Susan didn't waste another second drawing an arrow from her quiver and driving it to the hag's side. Then she withdrew it, fitted it to her bowstring, turned around, and shot a wolf that was about to decapitate Trumpkin.

Whoa, Susan thought, a bit lightheaded. How did I just do that?

Then again, her thoughts were cut short by another hag advancing towards her. Susan took a step forward, greeted the hag with a downward swipe of her bow. The sharp curve of her bow sliced the hag's face, causing it to crumple in the ground in front of her. Then she pulled an arrow from her back and shot the enemy Dwarf behind the hag.

She continued this facade for a few more seconds (or was it hours?). Her quiver only had two arrows in it now. Another hag, this time a lot smaller than the previous two were running murderously towards her. Honestly, how many hags did the Witch have on her employ? And why did they seem to have personal vendettas against her?

She punched the hag in the nose with all her might. The hag reared its head back and Susan had half a millisecond to wring her hand in paim because damn, that hag has a hard face before the hag swiped its wrinkly claws at her and caught the side of her face. Susan landed to the ground, her vision swimming.

She could barely register Trumpkin's voice screaming her name somewhere on her right.

She got up before the hag could deliver a knife to her face. Then after remembering what Caspian said about how to deliver a deathly punch, she hit the hag again in the face. This time the hag lost its balance and fell on its knees in front of Susan.

"Your Majesty!" Trumpkin screamed, the bloody gash on his forehead glistening. "Go! Run! Go back to the castle!"

"No!" Susan screamed back, kicking the hag back before the creature could stand up and shot an arrow straight to its eyes.

"They're after you!" Trumpkin yelled, ducking as a large wolf leapt at him. "Save your--"

"No!" Susan interrupted, shooting an enemy Dwarf before it could come near her. "I'm not leaving."