26 | changes

After the attempt on Susan Pevensie's life that morning when she first got to Narnia, Caspian and Peter stationed lookouts around the country's borders. And ever since then, the sentries usually find themselves fending their lives (and the borders) against the Witch's minions who seek to enter the country. These attempts happen almost everyday that the centaurs wouldn't even blink in surprise if screaming hags suddenly leap out of nowhere and interrupt their lunch.

But now, one month after that ambush in Lantern Waste, the activities around Narnia's borders went quiet. The Witch, it looked like, finally gave up after all her unsuccessful tries to get through the borders after that afternoon.

The Narnians felt relieved with this news. Mr. Tumnus, whose house was situated near the borders on Lantern Waste, immediately decided to return home. He had been staying in Cair for almost a month now, after King Peter asked him to be the Pevensies' tutor. And now that the siblings' education on theoritical knowledge is coming to its end, the faun wanted to see his house again. He could only wish that the Witch's minions didn't got bored while waiting for the dwarves and ravaged his home that afternoon, a month ago.

But Peter thought otherwise. The Magnificent King felt uneasy with the sudden halt of the attempts of Jadis to get inside his country. It wasn't her to just give up. And he knew firsthand how clever she is.

Peter decided to station more sentries around the borders.

It had also been a month since the Pevensies arrived in Narnia. And whether it was because of the magical Narnian air or the fact that Narnian time travels faster than their time, many things had changed with the three siblings.

Lucy was now having shoulder-length sandy brown hair, as opposed to her ear-length one when they first came to Narnia, and a couple of inches taller. The youngest Pevensie had also gain weight, which Susan felt grateful for because the girl was always so skinny back in England.

She had also grown very close to Trumpkin, the Dwarf. She took the liking of calling him D.L.F. (Dear Little Friend) which sometimes made the Dwarf tick. She also had grown accustomed with carrying the dagger that Peter had given her anywhere she go.

Edmund had grown into a rather dashing young man. Somehow, his always messy dark hair made him attractive to the dryads and the other occupants of Cair (which always made Lucy roll her eyes everytime Edmund pointed this out.) And he was now as tall as Susan, which the eldest Pevensie find the most disturbing. How could her thirteen year old younger brother be as tall as her?

Edmund was now very good in swordfighting. He now hack and swing his sword like a pro. Even General Oreius of the Narnian army found himself being disarmed and down on one knee when he engaged with a fencing match against the Pevensie boy. Peter, who had become Edmund's mentor in both fencing and battle strategy, couldn't help but beam with pride everytime he watched Edmund prevail in every single one of his matches against his officers. Of course, Edmund still couldn't beat him but he knew it was only a matter of time before he'd find himself looking up at the tip of Edmund's sword.

As for Susan Pevensie, she felt completely changed. She was more careful now, more vigilant, even though she was inside Cair's many walls. She often felt restless when she was not in the field and holding her bow. It was as if her whole body is tingling and yearning for her to shoot things. It seemed like the ambush didn't only scar her in the outside forever, but it also scarred her forever.

Her raven hair, previously shoulder-length when she first stumbled through the wardrobe to Narnia, now almost reached her waist. Often times, she'd braid it and curl it against the back of her head, especially when she'd go out and practice archery. But sometimes, she'd simply wear it down, making the courtiers and the occupants of Cair gush at her.