17 | envies

Caspian's brother and the girl that he likes hated each other's guts. That much was obvious during the past few days that he was with them. Sometimes, he just wanted to take them into the tallest tower of Cair Paravel and lock them up there until they realize that their childish banters and fights are driving the other occupants of Cair crazy.

When he woke up that morning and it sank in that it was his birthday, he wished that Peter and Susan would finally get along. Or, you know, not make a scene with another one of their childish fights later that night in front of a few hundred guests.

But now that Caspian was looking at them dancing so... sweetly while they give each other those... stares, Caspian felt something stirring in his chest which he couldn't quite explain what.

Then there's the fact that earlier, when he had asked Susan to dance, she had refused, saying that she doesn't like to dance. And yet there she was, twirling gracefully under Peter's arms.

Before he knew it, Caspian's eyebrows was scrunched together in a scowl.

Caspian had half the mind to go over their direction and gently tell his brother not to get a move on his girl. But there are a lot of things that's stopping him. One, because he knew he would look stupid (and bad) to their guests if he'd do it. Two, he knew they would be the subject of gossips if he'd do it. The residents of Cair already knew that she had feelings for the daughter of Eve. He could already hear whispers among the castle's staff as they watched Peter and Susan, and he suspected he heard his name mentioned into the mix. And three, how could he tell his brother not to get a move on his girl when she wasn't even his girl? True, he had already told her what he felt and she didn't rebuff him but she didn't say she returned those feelings either. Sure, she would blush everytime he'd compliment her and she'd slightly fidget everytime he was around her, but she hadn't said anything.

When the fauns stopped playing and the dance ended, the Great Hall burst into applause.

Stunned, as if they had just come to their senses, Peter and Susan looked around the Hall. Seeing the faces of the guests and the Narnians, and noting how they are all around the both of them as if they were watching them all this time (which they really were), they looked at each other and smiled sheepishly. Peter, grinning, bowed at her. Susan, matching his grin, did a little curtsy. Then they burst into laughter.

As if they hadn't just shared the most intimate dance that the both of them (separately, of course) did.

Not long after, another music started, and the guests headed to the dance floor once again. But Peter and Susan, both feeling a little lightheaded (they blamed it on the wine), went back to the direction of the table they had left a few minutes ago.

"You're a graceful dancer," Peter said to Susan.

"Thanks," Susan smiled, trying to mask the blush that was creeping up to her cheeks. Was it because of the compliment or the fact that she had just slow danced with this blonde-haired King who she has difficulty looking in the eye? She didn't know the answer. "You're not a terrible dancer either."

Peter couldn't keep rolling his eyes. "Oh, please. When you've been taught how not to step on your partner's toes for two years--"

"That's terrible!" she exclaimed.

"I know, right?" he said. "And when--"

"Oh, no. Not you. Your partner. It must be terrible for her. I bet she wasn't able to walk for, like, weeks."

Peter shot Susan a look. "Very funny, Pevensie."

The raven-haired girl's eyes danced with humor. "Hey! I'm just saying that it's not easy for girls if boys are always stepping on their toes when they dance. A lot of my friends back at England can prove that."