02 | introductions

SUSAN'S EYES WIDENED.

She stared at the boy, who was now smirking at her. If she hadn't felt like she was burning with embarassment, she would have been annoyed by that smirk.

The boy that just saved her, the boy she just yelled at... is the King of Narnia?

Yep, her day couldn't get any more strange.

When Mr. Tumnus mentioned the Kings, it didn't even cross her mind that they would be human beings. It wasn't her fault, she reasoned. Mr. Tumnus was constantly telling her and her siblings stories about the various creatures of the land so she just assumed that the Kings of Narnia would just be another ones of those Talking Beasts. She even sided with Edmund (silently, of course) against his bet with Lucy when he said the Kings would be wolves.

Or maybe a hound with two heads, she had thought, making it possible for Narnia to have two Kings.

Them being humans? It was the last thing on her mind.

But coming face to face with one of the said Kings-- who was blonde-haired and very human, by the way-- she wanted to smack her forehead for her stupidity.

"Peter," Mr. Tumnus said, drawing the young King's attention to him and away from the eldest Pevensie. She made a mental note to thank the faun later because if he hadn't done that, Susan was sure she'd melt in a puddle of embarrassment then and there.

"These are the Pevensies," the faun gestured at the siblings. "Lucy, Edmund, and I believe you've already met Susan."

Lucy did a little curtsy. "Your Majesty."

Peter smiled as he walked over to her and ruffled her hair. "Call me Peter. You're a cute little girl, Lucy."

Lucy would glower at anyone who would call her a "cute little girl." Back in England, she had kicked a bully in the butt by calling her "the little orphan girl". Since then, Edmund and Susan got less over protective towards her after knowing she can hold her end against bullies.

But coming from this strange bloke she just met, a King of Narnia or not, Lucy didn't find it irritating. Maybe it was because he had saved her sister's life and she couldn't manage to be mad at him. Or maybe because she has this comfortable feeling towards him that she couldn't explain. "Thank you," she smiled shyly up at Peter.

Peter approached Edmund, who was at the other side of Susan. The King noticed the raven-haired girl avoiding his gaze, even turning her head the other way when he got in front of Edmund. He had to bite his lip from smirking.

Peter patted Edmund's back, allowed his eyes to rove over the younger boy's physique, and said, "You have the build of a fighter, Edmund. How old are you?"

"Thirteen," Edmund replied.

The blonde-haired King smiled, his blue eyes sparkling. "You'll make a great swordsman, Ed. Just tell me if you want some swordfighting lessons and I'll gladly give you them myself."

Edmund smiled widely at that. Swordfighting lessons? Of course, he'd want some!

Back at school in England, swordfighting was the only activity in their P.E. class that he enjoyed the most. Though their swords were like practically sticks compared to the one Peter was carrying with him, that didn't stop Edmund from practicing with it during his spare time. Somehow, holding a sword, even though it was so blunt it could barely snap a twig, comforted him. "Thanks, Peter," he said gratefully.

Peter turned his attention to Susan.

The eldest Pevensie bit her cheek inside her mouth and met his gaze.