Big news

You guys gave me loads of ideas that will be coming up in the next couple chapters.

Dereks POV:
I was charting when the chief paged me into his office. I bump into Mer on the way there.

"Hey, where you off too?" She asked.

"The chief paged me"

"Do you think it's about the merger, god what if he fires me or Cristina" Mer said starting to panic.

Since everyone found out about the merger they have all been freaking out thinking there going to get fired. I couldn't tell you the last time Mer slept in her own bed.

"I don't know, but Richard won't fire you. Your basically his daughter" I told her. "I got to go" I kissed her cheek and walked away.

I arrived at the chiefs door and knocked on the door.

"Derek come in" he said.

"What's this about sir?" I asked.

"I'm retiring, and I want you to become the new chief of surgery"

"You-you what" I stuttered.

"Derek your more than qualified to run this hospital. It's the hole reason you came to Seattle in the first place"

"When are you retiring?" I asked.

"Fridays my last day"

"Oh so your leaving just in time for the merger" I laughed.

"Yeah I guess I am, but I've done all the hard stuff like choosing who goes. The emails go out later" he told me.

"Emails? Don't you think it's better to do it in person?"

"Derek there's a lot of people going, that's a lot of hard conversations"

"Mer isn't one of those people is she?" I asked.

"No, no she's one of my best residents"

"Good. Ok sir if it's ok with you I need to go I have a surgery" I said.

"Of course go save a life"

"Oh chief am I allowed to tell Meredith about this?" I asked.

"Yeah, but no one else"

"Caitlyn?"

"Yeah her too" he chuckled. "Bye Derek"

I walked out to go do my surgery.

I completely forgot I was doing this surgery with Meredith. So when I walked into the scrub room and saw her scrubbing in I immediately smiled.

"Hey" she said.

"Hi, guess what" I said.

"What?"

"Ok you can't tell anyone yet, but Richard is retiring-"

"What?" She interrupted.

"Wait I'm not finished, and he wants me to be the new chief"

"Omg, that's amazing Derek" she said and gave me a quick kiss.

The surgery was a success and now it's time to go home and tell caitlyn the news.

We got home and caitlyn was on the couch with Ellie watching Peppa pig.

"Hi" she said when we walked in.

"We have some new" Mer said.

"Your not pregnant again are you?" She laughed.

"No" Mer laughed.

"I'm going to be the new chief of surgery" I said smiling.

"Omg Derek that's amazing" she said hugging me. "What about Richard though?" She asked.

"He's retiring" I responded.

"Oh well that's great"

"Yeah but now I need to deal with the merger"

Time jump - Friday

Dereks POV:
Today is the day I become the new chief and I'm terrified. I woke up with Meredith in my arms, I started kissing her neck like I do every morning to wake her up.

"Mmm, morning" she said turning to face me to kiss my lips.

"Morning"

"So today's the day" she smiled.

"Today's the day" I say quietly.

"Are you nervous?" She asked.

"A little" I lied.

She looked at me "ok very" I laughed slightly.

"You'll be fine everyone loves you, do you know your speech?"

"I was just going to wing it" I said.

"Ok" she quickly kissed me and got up.

I got ready for the day and headed downstairs to get my oatmeal. I saw caitlyn sitting on her phone, I kissed the top of her head. "Morning"

"Morning" she responded.

"Do you want me to drive you to school?" I asked.

"No it's ok, you are becoming chief today. Get to the hospital early" she responded.

"Ok"

"Are you nervous?" She asked.

"Yes he is" Mer said walking in the kitchen with Ellie. She kissed caitlyn head just like I had done.

"Morning mom" caitlyn said walking out the kitchen. "Bye" she shouted from the front door.

"Bye" we both said.

Me and Mer drive to work and drop Ellie off at the daycare in the hospital. Now it's time to go give my speech.

I walk to the room where everyone is finding out that Richard is retiring. I sit near the front with mark and he asks what it's about I just smirk at him until Richard starts talking.

"Good morning everyone, now I'm sure your all wondering what this is about. It's not about the merger for all the people thinking that. I'm retiring"

Everyone starts whispering.

"And your new chief of surgery is Dr Derek Shepherd"

He motioned for me to come up and give a speech.

"So you all know who I am already so I don't need to introduce myself, i just want to thank Richard for choosing me to become chief. I'm not going to change the hospital too much because I feel we run smoothly. I just hope your all ok with this change" I said and everyone started clapping.

I saw Mer near the back clapping really hard. She mouths 'I'm proud of you' and I send her my mcdreamy smile back.

This is a short chapter and I'm sorry but the next chapter will be the merger.