- 2 - Right on time

A/N : Updated on June, 27th for clarity and minor changes. Please stay ˆˆ

7:04. You almost made it on time. 

It wasn't even your fault if everyone had things to do that early on a Monday morning. Why on earth would everyone wake up so early, you couldn't even understand. And why were there so many people in line to get a coffee ? And she didn't bother to tell you how she was drinking said coffee so you had to buy more than one, just in case. 

First day of work, better not blow it. 

You were running to get to the doors, mentally preparing a very convincing explanation as to why you were late, and of course you didn't notice the doors not opening in front of you. 

You took the hit pretty hard, spilling coffee everywhere from your jacket to your bag and shoes. Just what you needed to get fired before even starting the day. You got up and tried to get to the doors again. 

Maybe you were such a fast human being that it didn't detect you. Running in heels like a dinosaur. A very old and slow dinosaur. But no, still not opening. You tried calling your soon to be ex-new boss but no one answered. 

So you just decided to wait and try to make your new coffee look work. You didn't have a jacket anymore, but your top almost didn't take anything. Good. But you'd be cold all day. Awesome. You were also hoping that you wouldn't have to take notes because nothing in your bag could ever be used again now. 

You sat on a bench and decided to wait. She would call you to know what you've been doing at one point, and maybe you would be able to turn this in your favor. Of course you were on time, but you were locked out ! Not your fault. 

7:30. No call. 

And you were freezing. People were passing by but no one entered the building yet. You were starting to wonder if you were even in the right place. You got up and went to the doors, trying to see if anyone was inside, but nothing. No one, except a guy thinking about how much he would still like to be in bed. Same here, friend. 

You went back to your spot on the bench and decided to listen to people. 

That one didn't have time to get breakfast with her husband, this one was glad to have left his one night stand without being noticed for once. Such a gentleman. Another one was just hoping to get his job back after coming back, while another one behind him was praying to keep the job she's been doing for 5 years. Crazy times. 

And then you started thinking. What if instead of a job, it was a person.

Ted and Mary are happily married. Then Mary gets dusted. Ted mourns her for months, maybe even a year. Then Ted realizes Mary wouldn't have wanted him to be miserable for the rest of his life and he starts dating again. He meets Chloe. She's super nice and she totally helps him through the pain and everything. They start dating, and they both know life could end anytime so they decide to get married. They're happy. They build a good life together. And then a group of people with superpowers decide to play God and poof! Mary's back. And to her nothing has changed, she’s just wondering where Ted is, because a second ago they were talking about the new stove she wanted to buy. But Ted's not here, and when she gets to the bedroom looking for him, she sees him in bed with Chloe. And Ted sees Mary standing in front of him, screaming and crying. And Chloe, poor thing, she's just there feeling really uncomfortable, and she has no idea what's going on because Ted said he saw her turn to dust in the middle of a kitchen appliance conversation. 

Yep, you really wouldn't want to be any of them. But you wondered how many Teds, Maries and Chloes were out there. That would make a good TV show, for sure. Not now though. Too soon. 

"We should get inside, I don't want you to call in sick already."

Ms Potts was sitting next to you. You looked at your watch. 7:57. You got caught up in people's thoughts and didn't even realize that you had waited for almost an hour. 

“With all due respect boss, you're late.”

“Am I ?"

You followed her to the doors, which immediately opened. A few people were in already, they probably got in while you were thinking about all the therapy Mary Ted and Chloe would need. She turned around and looked outside the doors for an instant, then back at you.

“Is that my coffee ?”

“Oh hum, yes. I'm very sorry about that Ma'am.”

“It's fine. It would have been cold anyway.”

You wanted to say something really clever about how it would have been perfectly fine if the doors opened for you, but she was now talking to a woman at the entry desk. 

You decided to check if she was secretly mad about the coffee incident, and it hit you. That's why she wanted to know if you could read minds over the phone. You waited for her to be done with whatever she was talking about and followed her into the elevator.

“When did you get there ?” She wasn’t even looking at you. Her eyes were glued on her phone.

“7:04 Ma'am.”

“See, you were on time.” She raised her eyes and smirked. “The doors open at 7:50. No one here starts before 8:00."

That woman was a real genius. Evil, for sure, but still a genius.

A/N : I had a boss once who did that to me. Straight up told me I was to start an hour earlier just to make sure I would be on time. I've never been late in my life, so I just waited for an hour. At 5 AM. I quit after a week. Such fun !
Please enjoy your stay here =) See you in the next chapter !