- 36 - Gone

Wong opened the door. You’d seen him a few times before when you stopped by to talk to Wanda, but he’d never looked so worn out. He let the three of you inside, but Sam stopped him before he could call for his friends. 

“Later,” he said. “We need to see her first.”

You were about to get further inside the Sanctum, but Bucky’s hand firmly stopped you and dragged you back to the door. You wanted to ask him what was wrong with him but you finally noticed the gaping hole in the ground.

There was no Sanctum anymore. If anything, it was an empty shell, still standing by the sheer power of magic. Architecture had nothing to do with it anymore. The stairs were destroyed, as well as the first floor. All around you, all you could see were remains of what used to be a strong magic place. Books torn apart, furniture shattered, a few magic stuff flying or still exploding in the distance. And this hole in front of you. You didn’t know how deep it was going, but it looked awfully similar to the one that girl was dangling from only a few minutes ago.

And on opposite sides of what was left of the room, Wanda and Strange.

Both of them were clearly exhausted. Both of them were wounded. Wanda was curled up against a corner of the wall, her hands covered in blood. Most likely hers, since Strange didn’t look like he lost blood. She was staring at the hole she created, her face covered in tears. Strange was still trying to keep the place up, his hands shaking more than ever. His injuries seemed to have been caused by everything collapsing around him.

Sam followed Wong to Strange’s side of the room, cautiously avoiding Wanda’s gift next to him. You started walking on the opposite direction, but Bucky didn’t let go and tried to get you to the other side. 

“No way.”

You sighed and pointed at Strange. “Look at him,” you whispered. “If she wanted to hurt anyone, she would have. She’s calm now,” you added, freeing yourself from his grip.

“Don’t get her angry.” He stepped aside, letting you go to the right side of the house. 

You nodded and carefully walked closer to her, trying not to trip on anything around you. You kneeled beside Wanda, but she didn’t bother looking at you. Her eyes were still glowing, and she was focused on the hole behind you. 

“Hey,” you said in a quiet voice, unsure if she wanted to talk.  

“Can they repair it ?” So she had decided to talk with her mouth. Fine. You knew how to do that too. 

“The house ? Sure, I know a building company who will be available in about 10 months,” you laughed. You tried to get anything dangerous away from you and sat down next to her. “Outside too. It will be repaired. It’s not the first time shit happens in New York, Wanda.”

“I killed them.”

You stayed silent. You didn’t know what to tell her. A lot of people died outside. People whose bodies would never be found because they fell to the center of the earth or wherever these holes were leading to. It would probably take days to find all the bodies under the debris. With the panic taking over, car accidents probably happened too. She killed those people, and there was nothing you could say that would help her feel better. She was your friend, and making her angry was a bad move, but did she really deserve to feel any better right now ?

You decided to ignore that topic altogether. “What happened here ?”

Wanda finally decided to look at you. “I can’t have them back, YN. My boys, I can never be with them again. The book… it lied to me. Stephen knew all along, and he didn’t tell me.” Betrayal. She’s been betrayed by someone she trusted, and it backfired. So whatever happened here was on purpose. “He just wanted to keep an eye on me while I was getting over it, he said.”