- 20 - Just a kid

You were going to miss them. After almost a month living there, you really got attached to them. You spent nearly an hour explaining the new storage system of the cleaning products to Laura. Clint drove you to the jet and you spent a long time thanking him for everything. He had been very helpful in a time when you were in desperate need of a friend, and you were glad you had the chance to meet him. 

You really wanted to stay awake during the flight. Instead, you slept like a baby the whole way home. And you didn’t know if it was because planes had a calming effect on you or because you were finally going back to New York. 

You completely ignored the car waiting for you next to the landing area. The driver honked a few times, thinking that maybe you didn’t notice the only car parked on an empty field. He was probably a very nice person, but you had other things to do. 

You could have gone straight to the lab and checked on Bucky. You weren’t stupid enough to believe that he was not the reason you came back. But Mrs Potts told Clint that he was still there, and that Bruce was doing his best to help him recover as fast as possible. He had been exposed to a huge amount of acid, and anyone else would have died from it. But he didn’t, and now he needed to rest. 

If you had to be honest, you thought it would have been weird to just walk in his room after being away for so long. You also kind of broke up with him the last time you’d seen each other. Anyway, you weren’t going there yet. 

When you approached the building next to the landing area, a man in a suit came to meet you.

“This is a government facility. I’m sorry Ma’am, you can’t get any further.”

“Call Sam Wilson. Tell him YN YLN is here.” He seemed confused as to who you might have been. But he took his phone out and walked a few steps away so you wouldn’t be able to hear him. 

Do I look like I have Captain America’s number ? Loser. 
That bitch. How surprising.
Oh, so they know her. Now you were just hoping Sam would tell them to let you in. That was the biggest part of your plan.
I hate this job. 

You watched him wave at you to come over and smiled. You’d never ask Sam to sign anything ever again. Or at least you’d give him half the money. You followed the man to the entrance, where a woman gave you a badge and led you inside without asking you why you were there. 

What floor is it again ? Were they putting you in jail ? They surely wouldn’t have given you a badge if that was their plan. The woman got into an elevator and waited for you to get inside before scanning a magnetic card and pressing a few buttons. The doors closed and you waited.

Waste of time. Rude. 

No one got anything from him anyway. So she was getting you to someone. Usually the interrogation rooms never required you to take a ride in an elevator. 

She told you to follow her when you got out and she led you to a door at the end of an empty hall. There was nothing else in there than that door. For a moment, you got scared.

“Safety rules. Don’t get close to the windows. Don’t say anything about yourself. Don’t make any deal. Don’t turn your back on him. Don’t move away from the alarm button. Press the alarm button if anything looks suspicious. And whatever happens there, don’t make him angry.” You nodded and she opened the door. “I’ll wait here. Knock when you’re done.”

The room was cold. And it wasn’t as big as you’d expected. You didn’t even know what you expected to be in there, but you spotted a bunch of cameras across the walls. The whole place was pretty dark, except for the cell in the middle. It was almost all covered in metal. Facing you was a window, large enough to let you see what was inside.