- 28 - Freedom

“Maybe this is all my fault.”

“How ?” After all this time, Sam was going crazy. “You’re not responsible if that bitch turned into a dangerous criminal.”

“She was my friend. And I let her down. She did some crazy shit and now she’s in too deep to ever come back from it.” 

“You’re talking about when Mr Stark and Steve Rogers fought about Bucky ?” He nodded. “Well, it’s not your fault. I’ve read every single file about her. And you were a fugitive too, Sam.”

“I didn’t look for her.”

“You were not alone. Rogers could have too. Bucky told me they were close, but he didn’t try to find her either. Then the whole Thanos thing happened, then you died, then more Thanos shit happened.” You handed him the fries. “Then you had to deal with what I call The shield, the boat and the Bucky.” He laughed. “I would have forgotten about her too. She’s a very forgettable woman, you know.”

“You’re not saying this because you thought there was something between her and Bucky, of course. And how do you know about the boat ? ”

“Of course not. I’m saying this because she slapped me.” You rolled your eyes. “And I thought we were talking about you.”

“I’m the one who got her back to the US.”

“True. But she was already doing some questionable shit. She’s the one who wanted to sell super soldiers, Sam. Not you.”

“But stopping it didn’t help anything. Then she came back here and she started selling… whatever you want to call them.”

“Now that you mention it, I submitted The Injected to Bruce, but he said they were not zombies. If you could tell him that it’s a good name, I’d be grateful. Mayo, please.” He gave you back the fries. “Plus, the oldest injected we have got his powers before she was even pardoned.”

“Pardon that she obtained because of me.” Depressed Sam was not the funniest.

“I know you feel like you’re on top of the world since you got that round piece of metal, Sam, but you only suggested she got pardoned because she helped you. You did a good thing and you couldn’t have known she was related to that.”

“I feel like I should have.”

“Maybe. I mean, Pepper said it was pretty obvious.” You took a sip from your soda and looked at him. “I guess she thought she was untouchable when she got back, and that’s why we’re here now. If anything, you may have made it faster to get her.”

“She could have sold you. Give me the fries before you eat them all.”

“Nah.” You handed him the plate. “Minds readers were for her. She told me I would make her life easier.” You scoffed. “That’s exactly what I told Pepper when I applied here.”

“Maybe you should have applied to PowerBroker Industries instead.”

“But I would have never met you, Sam!” He laughed.

“And Bucky.”

“Are you obsessed with him ?” He threw a fry in your direction. “It doesn’t matter whose fault it is. The only thing that matters is that people died because of her. You need to do your job and stop her. Then you’ll talk with her, reminiscing about the past for days if you want.”

“Why do you think she’s doing it ?”

“I think she got scared, and all that money gave her enough power to make sure she was on top of the food chain and no one would try to hurt her. It started with her taking care of herself and then she started to love the game.” You laughed when you saw him stare at you. “I told you. I’ve read everything about her.”