- 35 - New Friends

The closest you got to the city, the harder it became to drive. You knew it before coming here, people were running in every direction, trying to escape the mess that was going on on Bleecker Street. From what you heard on the news, it was more of what was left of that street. 

Out of options and stuck in traffic, you parked your car next to a deserted shop. You grabbed your phone, locked the car, and ran towards the floating house up above the other buildings.

From your position, you could only see a vague ball surrounding the Sanctum. Wanda was definitely the one doing that, and right now, you didn’t want her to stop. You weren’t an expert, but if the house crashed back on the ground, the damages would be considerable. Right now, you were just hoping that the amount of victims wouldn’t be that big.

You had probably another 10 minutes to run to get there, but that was if no one knocked you down on the way. The streets were packed with people going in the opposite direction, and they were all looking behind them. You took out your phone and tried to call Pepper. Amongst everyone you knew, she was probably the one with the most information, and she was certainly not down there. 

“YN, where are you ?” she immediately asked. The sound of her voice was not as calm as it used to be. 

“No idea, what’s happening over there ?” you said, pressing the phone against your ear to block the screams around you.

“We don’t have any contact with Stephen or Wanda, she locked the house.”

“That’s why I’m going there, see if I can get close enough to talk to her.” Pepper didn’t answer for a few seconds, and you had to check if the call was still going on.

“YN. Be careful,” she calmly said. “We don’t know what’s happening inside, but the outside is not looking good.”

“I will.” Someone bumped into you and you fell on the ground. So much for being careful. You looked around and noticed some stairs leading to a roof nearby. “Pepper, can you get Sam on the line ?”

“On it.”

You zoomed between the people running around and climbed the stairs. You ended up on a nice balcony. The people there already escaped, leaving their breakfast on the small round table looking over this part of the city. 

“YN, it’s Sam, where are you ?”

You didn’t even look at the names of the streets. You were so bad at this. You looked up and you finally got lucky. 

“I can see you. You’re flying in my direction, can you come pick me ?” You didn’t really think before speaking. And you should have, because you just asked a flying man to pick you up. 

A few seconds later, you were off the floor. Sam didn’t even slow down before grabbing you. You tightened your grip around his waist while he was flying towards the house. You tried to hold onto your phone, but it slid between your fingers, falling to the chaos down there. 

You gasped when you got close enough to the house. There was a giant hole in the ground, buildings all around were threatening to fall off, and the whole street was being destroyed by the red beams escaping from the holes in the Sanctum. You tried your best not to look down. Not that you were scared of heights, but you were terrified to see the amount of dead bodies. 

After a minute, Sam landed in what seemed to be a safe place, considering where you were. He shoved something in your hand before flying away again. You realized it was a small earpiece and put it on. 

“Sam ?”

“What the hell, YN ! I told you to stay away !” Well, that was not Sam. 

“And I told you I was on my way. Do your job, I’ll do mine.”