- 6 - How to get in trouble

“She said no.” you took a sip out of your coffee -so he did hear you when you asked- and winced. “Is there sugar in there ? Ew.”

“Did you tell her it was important ?” As he laid back on the bench, you noticed he was obviously concerned. “Don’t drink it, then. And you’re welcome.”

“Yeah, thanks for nothing.” You went to the nearest bin to throw your cup away and came back to your spot. “No, I told her you just wanted to play some Monopoly.” You paused. Ok, not funny. “Yes, I told her. And she said no. She doesn’t want to see you.”

“What about Sam ?”

“Same. I talked to some people, and she didn’t even bother doing anything when one of your friends took a whole town hostage and became a straight up mental terrorist. Is this why you need her help ? That witch is doing it again ? I read so much about it, she's so scary.” You had to admit you were curious about what was happening that you didn’t know of. Probably a lot. 

“Can I go talk to her now ?”

“Do you need me to say it in French ? She doesn’t want to see you.”

“So she’s going to let people suffer because she decided not to get involved anymore ? That’s it ? It doesn’t work like that.” 

“Man, let me tell you this. The last time she got involved in whatever you guys are doing, she lost her husband. Her daughter lost her father. That’s kind of a big deal for her.”

That was why you didn’t ask again when she said no. You still remembered the anger and the pain she was feeling the day you met her. And you understood that she didn’t want to go through it again and put herself or her daughter on the line. Anyone with a working brain would do the same. At least you would. 

“Other people may lose loved ones because we’re wasting time.” He had a point. 

“Then stop trying to get her to do something she doesn’t want to do and get other people to help you. And I’m not talking about me. Please, don’t get me killed.”

“You wouldn’t do anything if someone was in danger ?” 

“Would anyone do anything if I was in danger ?” He looked at you. He seemed… amused.

“Did you lose anyone during the Blip ?”

“Other than myself ? Not really.” To be honest, you didn't even know if your parents died.

“Hm. Well you see, some people that never met you fought for you to come back while you were dead. Some of them sacrificed themselves. And here you are.” He had a point. Again. 

“Look, you may be right. But I can’t force anyone to do anything. What do you want me to do, tie her up to a chair and keep her awake for days until she agrees to help ?”

He remained silent for a few seconds and then stood up. “Thanks for your help. We’ll find another way. Sorry for the inconvenience. And for… you know.”

“Oh yeah, when you attacked me and I thought an old lady plotted against me ? Well, if you manage to save the world again I’ll forgive you.” You were still scared of him but you saw him twice since then and you really believed he was feeling bad about it. 

You stood up while he was starting to walk away. “Hey !” He turned back to face you. “There’s a party next week at the city hall. An inauguration, or something.”

He looked at you for a second. “Are you asking me out ?”

“What ? No ! Of course not !” You almost screamed. “Mrs Potts agreed to go. I think the mayor would be delighted if Captain America showed up too, right ?”

“I think he would be. Thank you.” And he left.

There was no way she would know you did that. Coincidences happened all the time. Granted, she knew they came to you for help, but as far as she was concerned, you told them exactly what she said. Whatever would happen next was none of your business. You would not even be there to see it, and she surely wouldn’t talk to you about it the next day. Starting now, you wouldn’t have to be involved in any of it.

“Hey YN !” Lucy was waving at you from her desk. 

“Hey Lucy. How’s it going ?” 

“Great !” As always. How could that be humanly possible? “Some guy left something for Mrs Potts here while you were outside, I told him I’d give it to you.”

She handed you an envelope. It had to be the boss’ invitation for the party. You thanked Lucy and went to the elevator. Once you got there, you knocked at the door and she told you to get in. 

“Your invitation for the party next week, Ma’am.”

“Thanks, YN.” She looked everything but pleased at the idea. She put it on her desk and showed you the chair in front of her. “Will they leave me alone ?”

“Ma’am ?” Why would the mayor leave her alone, she was one of the most important people in town, there was no way he would.

“If I may give you a piece of advice, YN. When you’re having a secret meeting. Try not to be right under one of my windows.” Oops. “My office is not high enough for me not to recognize you. Or your new friend.” She wasn’t mad at you. Just curious. 

“Sorry, Ma’am. It won’t happen again. I told him you didn’t want anything to do with them.” That was the truth. That was what you told them, and you’d never have to secretly plot with him again. At least you didn’t have to lie.  

“Good. I hope that’ll be enough.” You left your seat and headed back to the door. “Oh, Miss YN ?” 

“Yes Ma’am ?”

“You didn’t take yours.” She handed you a piece of paper. “I’m afraid you’ll have to join me there. You know, to make sure everything is *safe*.” 

No way. You took it and read the name on the invitation. Your name. That was bad. Now you were terrified. 

“Of course, Ma’am.” You tried to smile at her but you were sure you just looked constipated instead. There was no way the night would go well. She would definitely find out what you did and she would fire you. 

A/N : I'm probably going to write longer chapters next, but for now I'm satisfied. Tell me what you think =)
And as always, I wish you to be happy with yourself ! Lots of love