- 23 - Prisoner

You really thought you could handle it. That you were getting better. But your talk with Juan had mentally exhausted you. And instead of stopping there, you went on all day. Talking to people non stop, the meeting, reading all those files, and then trying to get deeper into Sharon’s head. 

Sharon was there. She saw you when you fainted. That was embarrassing. What if she told everyone that you were too weak to do anything useful ? You could try to tell them you were just tired. It could work. You liked Clint’s family, but you didn’t want to go back there.

And you forgot how uncomfortable the bed in the lab was. Your whole body was in pain. But it was nothing compared to your head.

You decided it was time to open your eyes and face everyone’s worried looks. They had been so happy to see you, and you just made a fool of yourself. Again.

But there was no one. 

And you were definitely not in the lab. 

You tried to sit up to get a better view of your surroundings but it seemed like you were tied up. That was weird. Maybe the next step after fainting was convulsing. Or delirium. That didn’t explain why you were laying on a table. 

Why on Earth would Bruce put you on a table and not a bed ? You didn’t even seem to be in the lab either. They probably didn’t want to kick Bucky out of his room in the middle of the night.

And the pain from your head… It was worse than any other time. Actually, it felt like it physically hurt this time. You probably fell on the ground when you fainted. 

“Hello ?” You tried calling for someone. “I’m awake !” Your voice didn’t sound good. Did you scream while you were out ? 

You heard someone walking outside of the room and they opened the door. You had absolutely no idea who that woman was. It was dark and she didn’t light up the room. Probably one of the new people you had never met. She didn’t say anything and just sat on a chair rather far from your table. You suddenly had a strange feeling. Nothing you could put a word on. You just felt something. 

“Hi. What happened ?” She didn’t answer. Maybe she was not in charge. “I think I fainted. I did a little too much today.” You heard her repress her laugh but still said nothing. “Can I have something for my head ? It hurts.” So she didn’t want to talk. It was fine, you had never really needed anyone to speak. Surprisingly enough, it didn’t hurt. So the pain from your head was really physical. 

Took you long enough to remember you could do that. Oh. You didn’t expect that. You had always wondered if Bucky was the only one who could feel it when you were inside. Apparently not.

Oh, I can do a little bit more than that, you know. What the- Did she just answer you ? 

Surprise. How does it feel ? You thought about that feeling you had when she entered the room. There was no word to describe it. It was her. 

I don’t know what to call it either. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure it out since Dallas, but I can’t describe it with words. Why was she talking about Dallas ? Dallas. There was someone else reading minds over there. 

Go on, you’re getting there. What was she talking about ? She wanted you to think about Dallas. Fine. Someone was reading Sam’s mind.