- 37 - Consequences

It took two weeks for your world to turn upside down. Two weeks since Wanda and Strange were gone. 

Wong moved in with you a few days ago. You were quite confused when he appeared in the middle of your living room with all of his stuff. Things went down in Nepal apparently, they were all in disagreement as to what the next course of actions should be, and Wong needed some peace and quiet to get his friend back. He never even hid the fact that he didn’t really care about Wanda, but you didn’t mind since he promised to try and get her back as a thank you for your hospitality. 

He wasn’t even a bad roommate. He was in Manhattan most of the time, trying to find remnants of Wanda’s magic. You found yourself wandering into his head a few times when he was reading about realities, universes and timelines, but the headaches it gave you weren’t worth it. As for the rest, you realized that if you had enough money to have your own place, providing for two people was a little harder on your bank account. And of course magic wasn’t paying the bills, and Wong was broke. 

As you were coming back from the compound, you parked your car on Happy’s spot, since he left again. And if you had to do his job, you could at least have all the privileges coming with it. 

You vaguely waved at Noah and ran to the elevator. You still had some time before Pepper had to go get her daughter at school and you really needed to talk to her today.

“YN ?” she said when you entered her office. “I wasn’t expecting you today.” She showed you the chair in front of her, which you gladly took. 

You got out a pile of paper from under your jacket and put it in front of you. “We need to do something about SWORD.”

“Still nothing from your requests ?”

You raised a finger and started to take one paper after the other, sliding them to her side of the desk. “Denied, denied, denied, de-nied.” You finished giving her everything and sighed. “They replied to all of them.” Pepper pursed her lips and took a quick look at the forms. “Don’t bother trying to find a reason, they didn’t even bother filling that part,” you said, rolling your eyes. “The good news is, they don’t just hate me. It’s all of us. I asked Sam to ask for an accreditation, denied as well. Who in their right mind could ever hate Sam ?”

“They want us out of their business.”

“And we want what they have on Vision,” you argued. “They already gave us most of it, what is it they want to hide now ?”

Pepper crossed her arms and let out a small chuckle. “Well,” she started, putting your papers back together, “they didn’t really gave us anything.”

“You stole from them ?”

“Their security system was shameful, they could use our help to get a better one,” she laughed. She cleared her throat and leaned forward. “We needed Wanda to help us, and I knew that the idea of getting Vision back would get her on our side.”

“How did they find out ?”

“The man I asked to get the information from wasn’t the best at covering his tracks,” she sighed. “I was in a hurry, I made a mistake.”

You laughed, realizing that she wasn’t talking about stealing from SWORD in the first place, but getting someone inadequate to do it for her. “You could’ve told me at least,” you said. “That was a lot of paperwork. I’ll find another way.”

She nodded at you and leaned back on her chair, relieved that her mistake was out of the way. Even if it was a big deal, you weren’t in any position to blame her for that, you were the one who begged everyone to lie two weeks ago.