Chapter 1

Sanjana's P.O.V.

Sighing heavily, I tapped my feet and waited. Damn these interviews! I have recently finished my double degree in law and now I waited for the most elite law firm of India to interview me.

I took two degrees, first specialising in criminal law and next taking up marital law. My reason was because crime scenes fascinated me, and I hated men. Not as a whole but those silly percentage of men who were abusers, rapists, manipulators. And I felt like slapping every person who told me "not all men", I mean, if I hear a rape news, or a marital abuse news everyday, how would I know which man to trust and which to not trust.

My double degree was the reason not many people wanted to hire me, they considered me stupid for wasting my years. If this firm wouldn't accept me, I don't care, I'll start a new law firm of my own!

"Miss Sanjana," the lady called for me. She was an elderly lady who was the only one who seemed human to me in this waiting room. The others were just robots practicing to give out their robotic, well revised answers, not that I would blame them, this is after all a very high profile firm and of course everyone would try their best to get selected here.

"Good luck," she said and opened the door for me. I took two deep breaths and entered the room to find a man sitting there with a smile on his face.

Fear started to claw me as I sat on the chair. Albeit the fact that this man had the smile that you would generally classify as "soft and kind" and the one that would make you feel the safest, he was still a man and with a past like mine, you could hardly blame me for my skepticism of men.

No, I cannot have a panic attack right now!

"Good morning Ms. Sanjana," he said, his tone soft.

"G-good morning," I stammered and he smiled more.

"Don't be scared, I'm not gonna bite you, this is just a friendly conversation okay?"

"Yeah,"

"Well, I'm Sunil, the Co-CEO, the other CEO, my brother is not here, but hey I'm anyways the friendly one so, tell me about yourself, why you want to choose this job?"

"Nice to meet you sir, I'm sure you might have read my résumé and seen that I hold two degrees in law, marital law and criminal law, the other law firms are dickhe--" I stopped immediately, my hands turning clammy at my clumsiness. Fuck, I knew I would get in trouble and just what I feared had happened, I'd used a curse word out loud.

To my surprise, Mr. Sunil laughed.

"Maybe he's laughing at the fact that you're not going to be appointed here now! Well done Sanjana, you never fail to amuse me," my conscience chided in and I scowled.

"Do continue madam, and do not censor the words, I really love it when people are themselves," he said, his eyes twinkling with amusement as he grinned.

"So the other l-law firms are not so good and they don't want someone who supposedly wasted her time getting two degrees,"

"Why criminal and marital law?"

"Since I was a child, solving crime fascinated me, I really loved doing all the thinking and analysing and everything and marital law because to this day, in India there are many women who suffer from domestic abuse, mental abuse, marital rape and what not,"

He seemed impressed, then we talked on for some more time on the law and the job and everything before the interview got over.

"You are the only candidate that has impressed me today, looking forward to working with you Ms. Sanjana,"