Chapter 4

Trigger warning: mention of domestic abuse and assault (sexual), brutality

I stepped inside my office the next day, still thrilled that I have an office of my own but groaned when I looked at the piles of files. Not that I minded it, I was excited to get to work but it was still a tiresome thing. A girl was allowed to be happy about having ajob and yet being ungrateful for having to worl. As I settled down on my comfy chair, I twirled it around, giddy with excitement but stopped for the fear that someone was going to barge in.

I kept my coffee mug on the table and opened the first file which was apparently the first case they'd one and it was dated 5 years back.

There was a small yellow note that read

Hey! I hope you're well settled in and take your time going through these files. When you're done, I'll give you the main case file that I'm currently working on.

Rohan :)

I found myself smiling a little as I peeled the post-it note off the file and placed it somewhere in one of my drawer.

This file I noticed was about a woman who wanted to escape her abusive husband. He'd apparently threatened to murder her children when she demanded a divorce. As I was going through the file, I learnt that the name of the lady was Lilly, and when I looked at the picture which was attached on the file, realisation dawned me. It was the receptionist.

But she looked so young for 2 children, I thought.

I looked through 2 more files before my phone rang.

"Yes?"

"We're planning to keep am engagement ceremony next week is that okay with you?" Dad asked softly.

"Y-yes dad,"

"Why are you hesitating, love? Do you not want to go ahead with this arrangement? Be honest with me,"

"Dad it's not that," I said and that was when I noticed a figure, more precisely Rohan standing outside my office, I gestured him to come in.

"Dad, let's talk when we get home okay?"

"Beta,"

"Dad, my boss is here, bye love you,"

"Fine, bye I love you too," he said before he hung up.

"Yes Ro-sir?" I asked as I stood up.

"You can call me Rohan, it's ok,"

I just nodded my head and stared at him.

"How familiar are you with cases that deal with rape and an extreme level of violence?" He asked me cautiously.

I immediately stiffened at the mention of rape and he noticed it. I always froze when I heard the word and my mind just blanked on most occasions. I knew studying marital law would mean that I would encounter rape cases almost every day and yet somehow, sometimes it just felt like someone was stepping on my heart every time I read a case or saw the victims.

"I read two of the files, so but I don't know,"

"I have to go meet one of the rape victim and she's asking for a female though, my usual one Nisha on a maternity leave so I thought I'd ask you to join me,"

All the colour drained from my face and my palms started sweating. This felt like my worst nightmare, but I still wanted to go. Because somehow I knew that having a female lawyer would help the rape victim massively.

"I'm not pressuring you though," he said, seeming to notice my reaction.

"I'll come with you," I said and he visibly relaxed before he gave me the details and left me alone for the lunch break.