Chapter 10

I was screaming I knew that for sure. My whole body was trembling as I felt arms around me shaking me. I was clawing at the hand as I trembled and screamed. I was having the same nightmare that I've now had for more than half a decade.

"Sanjana, hey it's just a nightmare, wake up, you're safe, open your eyes please," a voice called out for me as the arms held me tightly against a warm body.

"Sanjana, please," the desperate voice called and I opened my eyes, breathing heavily, gasping for air. Moist eyes stared back at me as my body trembled in his hands.

"Oh thank fuck," he whispered as he closed his eyes and wiped the tear that had rolled down his left cheek with his trembling hand before he dropped his hands to his side.

The reality sunk in. I looked at the ticking clock on the wall and my eyes widened when I realised it was 3 in the morning. I was still tired from the reception.

"I'm--I'm sorry,"

Somehow even when I knew all he was doing was just help, receiving help from him was still somewhat new to me and still a little uncomfortable. He just kept seeing me in vulnerable positions every time.

"Stop saying sorry," he said as he gazed at me intently. He had obvious dark circles under his eyes as he stare at me. He was clearly tired from the reception and here I'd just woken him up because of my silly nightmares.

"I didn't mean to terrify you," I whispered.

"You didn't, I'm sorry I'm just overreacting a little I think," he said as he clasped his hands together, clearly dismissing that his hands were genuinely still shaking and he was still breathing unevenly too.

"You're not overreacting, I must have been screaming a lot," I said, tears welling in my eyes as I placed a hand on his and entwined our finger together.

"You were and you were thrashing in the bed and I was so scared because you wouldn't open your eyes," he whispered honestly as he leaned his forehead against mine.

I shuddered as I closed my eyes, a lone tear escaping my left eye. The images played in my mind and I immediately opened my eyes. His eyes were soft as he gazed at me andwe just sat in comfortable silence as our tremors passed and we were finally able to breath properly.

"I'll--I'll just take some medicine," I said as I got up and walk towards my bag.

I found the blue table and gulped it down before walking over to the bed, my head was pounding and my whole body was aching with each step.

"D-do you want me to be near you, hold your hand or something? Just in case..." he asked hesitantly and I might sound like a cry baby but his kindness really drove me near tears all the time.

"No Rohan, I've already ruined your sleep and I'll sleep peacefully now with the help of that medicine," I said.

"Okay, well just hug a pillow and sleep, it may help with your anxiety," he said and I stared at me as he walked towards the sofa and waited for me to sleep.

I laid down on the bed, my arms around a pillow as I closed my eyes and let sleep overcome me.

°

"Mom, pass me the sandwich please," Sunil said as he took a sip of orange juice.

"Mom I'll do that you sit down," I said as I got up and passed him the sandwich.

"Sanjana, pass me the pancakes please," Rohan asked.

"Yeah," I said as I passed the pancakes, all the while avoiding eye contact.

I was embarrassed. I couldn't help but be embarrassed. Yesterday, he'd seen me at my worst moments twice and I couldn't help with the embarrassment.