Chapter 67 - Awake

Nejire woke to find a slight weight on her stomach. She gently raised the covers to find Eri was sleeping there, probably having had snuck into the bed sometime during the night. The little girl had, although she used to be alright on her own, after discovering the extent of Izuku's injuries she had started struggling a little more. Nejire smiled sombrely as she began waking up, cuddling Eri a little and leaving the girl tucked in as she carefully slipped out from underneath her. 

She did make sure to put the pair of stuffed soft toys of herself and Izuku in their respective hero costumes in her place though; Yaoyorozu was an absolute saint and not just because she could put up with Bakugo as much as she did.

As she changed out of her pyjamas and into a casual shirt and pair of shorts for the day, she stretched. And as she finished waking up, she remembered.

She rushed down the stairs ignoring the yells from her classmates, probably the first time she had ever skipped breakfast as she began flying as soon as she left the building, the yellow trails of her energy quirk behind her as she zipped across the school. 

It took less than a minute for her to make it to the infirmary. Normally Recovery Girl would be there, but not at this time of morning. After all, the Youthful Heroine needed her beauty sleep.

Nejire however, stood outside the door to the infirmary for several minutes, pacing. She wanted to know. But she was so, so scared. Of both bad and good.

If he was still asleep, and it hadn't had worked, she didn't know what she would do. Probably cry a lot again. Probably be found by Recovery Girl, partially dehydrated again and passed out by Izuku's side.

But if he was awake, she'd be excited, ecstatic, jubilant. But she wasn't sure what she'd do. Laugh? Smile? She wasn't quite sure. 

She took a deeply breathed in and swung the door into the infirmary open, making her way down the unfortunately all too familiar halls through the infirmary to Izuku's dedicated room off to the side. 

At some point they had started writing small get well wishes on the walls there, friends, family, classmates and teachers alike. It was sweet, everyone had their unique writing or message. There was plenty of permanent marker, some paint, a welded one, lots of bits and pieces here and there. Nejire felt somewhat hopeful again, and dared place her hand on the door knob.

She gripped it tightly, her knuckles whitening slightly before releasing a breath she didn't realise she was holding. 

She gently opened the door and refused to look forward, keeping her eyes firmly on the handle as she closed it, turning with it after having crossed into the other room. 

"N-ne-ji-re?" A voice rasped. It was incredibly dry sounding, she could basically feel the dryness of his throat, but it was an unmistakable voice.

It was Izuku's.

Nejire was shocked, at a standstill. Tears were landing onto the floor. And there before her, lay Izuku in the hospital sheets and bandages.

"Wa-t-er?" Izuku asked, breaking Nejire out of her thoughts. She wanted desperately to be selfish, to take him in her arms and never let go again, to kiss him until she needed air.

But she didn't know how long he had been awake, how long he must've been stuck there, uncertain, probably scared, unable to do anything but lie and sleep. But he had probably slept himself out.

She nodded quickly and ran off to get a bottle of water, one of the many Recovery Girl always kept around. She held back more tears as she rushed back to Izuku's side, gently helping him drink the water.