Chapter 32 - Camp Nightmare Starts

Izuku woke up with dawn, thankfully before Aizawa-sensei could drag him outside with the rest of the class. He quickly got up, changed into basic exercise clothes. He began doing some stretches, reminiscing over the night before. He smiled at the thought. 

Kota, shy at first, had indeed warmed up to the rest of his closer friends despite each of their... eccentricities. Monoma had tried to bother them once, but before Kendo could shut him down Kota had beat her to the punch, saying something about Monoma being "an annoying, weird, creepy student," to Izuku. 

It promptly resulted in Bakugo immediately approving of Kota, a testament shared by Todoroki (although much less verbally), and Iida just sighed as he and Kendo did their best to escort Monoma a determined "safe distance" from the 1-A students.

Chuckling at the memory, he looked towards Aizawa-sensei as he began directing other students. Aizawa-sensei directed him towards a cliff. Izuku recognized it as the cliff he and Kota sat on last night. 

"You have to get to the top," Aizawa-sensei said, "From here. And you can't touch the side of the cliff."
"In other words," Izuku asked whilst gazing up at the cliff face, 15 meters up.
"You have to fly. Have fun." Aizawa-sensei smirked, walking away. 

Izuku nodded, pulling out his notebook from yesterday, returning to his calculations. He continued working in the book, his quirk sparking from his head when a tug on his shorts broke him out of his thoughts. 

Looking down, he saw Kota, still rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. "Good morning Izuku," He said.
"Good morning Kota!" Izuku said, closing his book.
"What are you doing for your quirk training?" Kota asked, looking up at Izuku.
"I need to figure out how to fly." Izuku said, smiling at Kota.

Kota's eyes lit up in amazement as he cheered. "I believe in you Izuku!"
Izuku smiled, "Thank you Kota."
"Can I stay and watch?" Kota asked.
"You'll probably need to ask Mandalay first, but I don't have any problems with it." Izuku told him. Kota nodded, running off to go find Mandalay. Izuku chuckled as he finished off some final calculations. He decided he would start with hovering after jumping, then to basic upwards movement, working his way towards controlled flight.

To start with, he jumped upwards with a stopwatch in hand, noting the time at the apex of the jump. He did his best to replicate it several times over, before being satisfied with the average time.

Then, he jumped, this time producing just enough lightning to briefly stall in the air, a slight crack of thunder sounding in the immediate area. He did this successfully several times (and pretended he didn't trip at least a dozen more), successfully increasing the time at the apex of the jump by several seconds.

The next stage, he jumped up, and using his quirk, he stayed in the air. A constant stream of lightning from his feet formed a web structure, giving the appearance he was standing on a floor revealed by his quirk. He was running out of his immediate energy after staying for about a minute, and by this point Kota returned with a smile.

"Oh hey Kota!" Izuku said, focusing on his feet still, not noticing Kota's look of amazement.
"That's so cool Izuku!" Kota said, straining his neck to look at Izuku.

Izuku nodded, and released the 'platform', causing him to crash into the ground. "Alright, need to work on landings. Got it." Izuku said, brushing himself off. Kota ran over with stars in his eyes as Izuku brushed himself off. 

"That was so cool!" Kota cheered again, as Izuku chuckled and prepared himself again.
"Could you step back please Kota?" Izuku asked. Kota nodded and quickly stepped back to a safe distance, several meters away. Izuku smiled at him, before focusing on himself. He jumped upwards and produced what was effectively a step under one foot with lightning.