Chapter 39 - The Start of An Era

The hospital white room was agonizing. Nejire sat in a chair next to the bed, only just allowed inside the room.

After the massive battle, she focused on getting Izuku medical attention, which was offered with no effort as she flew to the nearest hospital. However, she was quickly, and somewhat forcefully, ripped away from her beloved as they said that there were tests to be run, x-rays to be taken and potential surgeries to be completed as Izuku was quickly wheeled away and Nejire directed to a different room.

After she was cleared with some heavy bruising to her ribs that were given accelerated healing using rudimentary healing quirks, she pestered the receptionist until Izuku was given a room. Apparently, there were a few stress fractures, along with large gashes and cuts that needed stitches, along with a concussion, infected leg wound, and sores on his wrists. It was hard to tell how old some of these things were, and it was clear he was in a bad state. All of that was bad enough on its own, but coupled with the extreme quirk overuse, the doctors and nurses in charge were currently occupied running a plethora of tests on his state.

But right now, Nejire could at least see him, if not hold his hand. One was hooked up to a variety of medical machinery keeping track of dozens of statistics regarding his welfare, whilst the other was attached to a blood transfusion. Her eyes watered and the back of her throat burned as she sat next to her love, her eyes gazing over his all too still body.

Ten minutes passed, and soon the overwhelming stillness of the room became too much for Nejire as she was overwhelmed by her thoughts. She broke down in tears, face on Izuku's still chest (covered by sheets), her sobbing shaking her slightly as the tears stained the sheets, making them a slightly deeper shade of the hospital white.

After five minutes, she felt a hand gently combing her hair, and didn't bother to look up. She knew it wasn't Izuku (his arms may or may not be pinned), but her sobbing did begin to subside slightly. "It's alright sweetie, let it out."

Soon, Nejire sat back up to meet eyes with a blonde woman, looking quite young with spiky hair. "-sniff- Mrs. Bakugo?"She asked, eyes red and still wet.
The lady nodded solemnly, "Please, call me Mitsuki, that makes me feel old. I was on my way to release Katsuki from the hospital when I heard my other son managed to get into some serious trouble. Anyway, I take it you are the Nejire Hado this one talked about all the time?"

Nejire, despite the somberness, still blushed at that, "I-I... I guess."
Mitsuki chuckled and smiled sadly at him, "Yeah, he calls often. He told me he got locked in a room and forced to confess."

Nejire smiled at the memory, before something came to her attention. "The... All For One villain... he said he murdered Izuku's parents, so-"
"He's officially a Midoriya. But we adopted him as his God-parents, Masaru and myself. Did good, he rubbed off... somewhat on Katsuki and I'm thankful Katsuki didn't rub off too much on him. But he's family, and you effectively are too."

Nejire blushed, looking away from Mitsuki. The mother pulled out something from her handbag, and handed it to Nejire. It was a green bento box, fairly full. "I had brought this for Izuku once he got out... but you know. You could probably use it though, and he'd want you to have it anyway. Keep positive sweetie, he'll pull through, now I gotta go pick up my biological brat." Mitsuki said, getting up to leave. Nejire nodded, thanking her and bidding her farewell as Nejire stared down at the green bento box. 

She opened it and picked at it, she hadn't eaten since lunch (for whatever reason she worked better on an empty stomach), but she had no appetite for food right now. She could tell it was heavily seasoned, and at any other time would be delicious (if a little spicy), but right now it was bland and simply something to keep her going.