24 - The Nephilim In Human Skin

I walked inside of the church, Anna and Angela shortly following behind.

I've been here before. I can feel it. But I don't remember it.

"Why is this place so familiar?" I muttered to myself.

"I haven't been inside a church for so long..." Angela marveled, looking around.

"That's why this place is abandoned." Anna commented. "Your family moved out."

"Yeah. I always did wonder why the church was abandoned..." I replied.

As you would expect of an abandoned place, vines were growing all over the church. I wonder if God hated my family for leaving.

I walked through the main hall, touching each wooden seat. Every single grain of wood felt familiar. Why was this so familiar?

This isn't coincidence. Something is going on.

I walked up to the podium, examining it. It's so familiar.

I stood on the stage, looking at the whole church from this angle. The wooden seats, the stone walls, the stained glass murals. They were so familiar.

I examined the stained glass windows. They seemed to tell some sort of story. The first showed an Angel from Heaven. The second one showed that same Angel coming down to Earth, a basket in hand.

The third showed the Angel placing the basket at the doorstep of the church. The fourth showed a family from the church discovering the basket.

And then the final stained glass window revealed what was inside of the basket. A baby.

...

This can't be a coincidence, right?

But this mural is telling the story of the baby of an Angel. That can't be me. I'm human, and they found me when I was four, wandering inside the church.

[90%]

"A Nephilim..." muttered Angela, staring at the stained glass windows.

"A what?" I asked.

"A Nephilim. That's what the story is about. It's the child of an Angel and a Human. They're legends for us Angels." Angela explained.

"Interesting..." I thought. Angels also have their own legends.

"It doesn't happen often though. Most times Angels who do it then get kicked out of Heaven and become Fallen Angels." Angela continued. "At least, according to the legends."

"Does that mean you can fall?" Asked Anna curiously.

"I can't." Angela replied, shaking her head. "There isn't a Heaven for me to be kicked from."

"Oh...right..." Anna awkwardly replied.

"Are Nephilim always delivered to churches?" I wondered.

"No. The legends say most are killed. After all, the contain the power of an Angel but don't retain the weakness. They're incredibly dangerous. That is, if they exist." Angela responded.

"And if they did exist, they don't anymore. It's been 1000 years since the Angels died." Angela sadly added.

I looked over at Angela. Giving her a hug, I felt her hands tighten on my shirt. I can't imagine what she must feel. The weight of the survivor's guilt she must have.

"It's not your fault." I told her.

"I know...I know. But it hurts..." She cried.

That's when I remembered something Mom told me before, when one of our relatives died a couple years ago.