28 - The Princess Of The Dark Empire

(Dawn POV)

If you think that being a princess is all fun and games...

It's not.

I'm Dawn Dark, princess of the Dark Empire. And this Friday is October 31st, my 16th birthday. Usually this would be one of the most memorable moments in a girl's life.

Not mine.

"Dad! Mom! I don't want to get a fiancé!" I angrily protested.

Mom sighed. "I know honey, I know. But it's been a tradition for vampire royalty to choose their fiancé's at their 16th birthday. That's how your father and I met."

"It's not going to be like yours! Everybody's going to be some asshat who wants me either for my body or position!" I yelled.

I don't mean to be arrogant, but I would say I'm a great catch. A princess with black hair, tanned skin, and ruby red eyes. A lot of people call me beautiful.

Anyways, vampire families in the Dark Empire have been waiting for this, so that their sons could "seduce" me. As if someone could seduce me. Their true intentions are too obvious.

They're all greedy. I've seen the gazes. They lust for money, sex, and power.

It's disgusting. Men are disgusting.

...

Okay, let me restate that. Most men are disgusting, at least these vampires. My Dad is an amazing man.

But none of these suitors are any Prince Charming's. I want a man who wouldn't hesitate to put his life on the line for me. Maybe I'm being spoiled and picky, but being a princess is dangerous, even if you can protect yourself.

I want someone who will have my back.

"I'm sorry Dawn!" Silently cried Dad. "We both know I don't want this either. But hey, good news is that you'll be able to annul the engagement if he tries anything!"

"It's been a tradition since the beginnings of Vampire Royalty. The Empire will be up in arms if you don't follow the tradition." Sighed Mom.

"Damn it!" I screamed, irritated and frustrated, stomping away to my room. I intentionally made sure my parents could hear my angry footsteps.

I don't want to be a fiancé to some random guy! When I get a fiancé, it's going to be to the man I love!

It's a good thing I'll be able to annul it if he tries to force me, but I don't want to even allow him to try it.

The life of a princess isn't all fun and games.

I have the best family I could wish for. Loving and caring parents. I wouldn't trade them for the world. But these stupid traditions...

Maybe I should just run away...

But here would I even go? Ugh...

I pulled a cloak over my dress. Pulling up the hood, I made sure that it would cover my face. Can't let anyone see who I am.

I snuck out of the castle, before stealthily moving through the streets of the Dark Empire. I headed to the newly made train station which led to Hell Kingdom.

It was created to release tensions between our countries and help with peace talks.

I paid for a ticket using my allowance, boarding the train. Sitting down in a seat, I kept my head down as I waited for the train to start.

If you think I'm running away, I'm not. It would be stupid. I have nowhere to go.

I just need some time away from the Dark Empire for a moment. Take a breath of fresh air. I've been planning this small trip for a while now, especially since soon my freedom will be restricted by a stupid fiancé.