32 - The Princess' Dilemma

(Dawn POV)

Today's the day.

I looked at myself in the mirror, making sure I looked good for the party. Even if I wasn't looking forward to today, I still have to look good.

I placed the bat earrings into my ears, topping off my outfit. Doing one final check, I deemed that I looked pretty nice. Moving into my room, I looked out of the window. My door opened as my mother walked in, smiling at me.

"Hey honey." She softly greeted.

"Hey Mom." I replied, sighing.

"You ready?" She asked.

"Not really." I responded, sitting myself onto my bed. "I don't want to choose a fiancé."

"I know honey, I know. Neither me or your father want this for you, but it's been a Vampire Royalty tradition for centuries. The people would be up in arms about it." Mom explained, sitting down next to me.

"That's only because they want a chance to marry into the royal family." I scoffed.

"I'm sure not all of them are like that. Are you sure that none of them take your fancy?" Mom asked.

I hesitated for a second, thinking of one man.

"Oooh, who is it~?" Mom teased.

"What are you talking about?" I grumbled.

"There's totally somebody." She smiled.

"Fine. It's just...a small crush. Not like it would work anyway. He's not a vampire." I sighed.

"You know...you have to choose a fiancé, but it never said it had to be a vampire." Mom revealed.

I felt a spark of hope for a second. He would absolutely be better than anybody else. And ever since he saved me I've had a little crush towards him. But it's just a crush.

"So, who is he?" Mom asked.

"He's the guy that helped me against those robed men when I snuck out." I told her.

"You shouldn't have done that." Mom sighed.

"I know, I just feel...trapped. I needed a breath of fresh air. I love you, I really do...but..." I muttered.

"Then you should just choose him as your fiancé. I'm sure he would love to be the husband of such a beautiful girl." Mom suggested.

I felt a smile tug at my lips. If it was him, it wouldn't be bad...But then another thought crushed my hopes.

"What are the chances that he would even be here?" I asked. "You don't just invite everyone..."

"You never know." Mom replied. "If he was strong enough to help you, there's a chance he may be here."

"Oh! I have the guest list here!" Mom suddenly said, pulling out a piece of paper. "What's his name?"

"Jackson Walker." I told her.

She unfolded the piece of paper, which multiplied in size, with the bottom of the paper hitting the floor.

"Let's see...Walker..." Mom muttered, scrolling through all of the last names that started with W.

"Here he is! Jackson Walker." Mom said, pointing to a name on the paper.

"Seriously?!" I gasped, looking at the paper.

Mom smiled at me. "You must really like him."

"Huh? Why do you think that?" I asked.

"You're smiling." She simply said, gesturing to my face.