54 - The Fake Verses The Real

"Jack!"

...

...

"Jack!"

...

...

"Jack!"

...

...

"JACK!!!!" Someone screamed.

My eyes widened as I woke up from my sleep. My throat was burning as a pressure filled my chest. I gasped, feeling a liquid suddenly rush inside my mouth and filling it. I clamped my mouth back shut, but I couldn't keep it for long.

I was drowning. And running out of breath.

No!

No!

No!

I stared up with widened eyes, realizing I was sinking down. "Jack! Go up! Get to land!" Sally screamed in my mind.

No!

No!

My limbs felt heavy. I pulled them upwards, moving them through the water to swim upwards. My strokes became quicker and more frantic as it became harder to hold in my little breath.

No!

I broke the surface, quickly scampering onto land. I puked out seemingly gallons of water from my mouth, hacking and coughing in the process. I felt terrible.

I shivered, cold from the air tickling my soaked body. I looked around, seeing I was at the little lake that Krystal had shown me.

And I came to the horrifying realization that someone had just tried to drown me.

"Jack?! Are you okay?!" Sally worriedly asked.

I coughed out more water. "Yeah." I rasped out. "What...what happened?"

"I don't know. I can only see through your eyes, so I didn't see anything." Sally replied. "I only realized something was wrong when I felt you starting to die."

"Thank you." I gasped. "But...why didn't I wake up earlier? I...should have with the cold water...drowning me and you...screaming in my head."

"I'm guessing some sort of sleeping drug." Sally replied. "You understand that someone tried to kill you while you were vulnerable, right?"

Yeah...I do. But who? It wouldn't be one of the girls...it had to either be one of the Kitsunes here, or an intruder.

That's...worrying.

"I agree." Sally replied. "I would suggest finding the others immediately and letting them know someone is after you."

Right...then we can do that buddy system, and hopefully convince Krystal's Mom to at least let me sleep inside the house.

I got up to my feet with some struggle, my legs still shaking from the fact that I was so close to death. I glanced at the lake, backing up away from it.

I almost died...

Sure, I've been in danger before when I've fought others, but this is different. This is the first time I felt so helpless. When I'm fighting, I can at least fight back. But how do you fight back against water? You don't. You can't punch water and make it stop.

Wait, where's Boo?!

I quickly looked around, before seeing something yellow laying near a tree. I rushed over, scooping the slime into my hands. It was unconscious. I lightly shook it awake.