Chapter 5: Perpetually pissed off

**ERIC’S POV**

We’d heard the whole “slut” conversation between our very unique looking student and that jerk that literally shoved her out of his way. Barry touched my arm to keep me calm. I was angry that this jerk would insinuate such a thing even though I didn’t really know her. I didn’t usually get angry like this. I was one of the most laid-back people in the band and crew. Since we arrived on this campus, I seemed to be in a perpetually pissed-off mood. The guys had been right, this abuse she was going through was only temporary. I had to keep my cool.   

We were standing around outside out bus after Bill had taken her to put her things on the student’s bus. Zach had been acting weird, or weirder for him, since Jake pointed her out. He was lost in his thoughts and whatever he was thinking about brought tears to his eyes. Brent was getting concerned about the littlest guy in the band but he quickly regained himself. Bill left her with us. We chatted for a few minutes before Zach asked her about the multi-colored bracelet. 

 “Is that a Survival bracelet?” He asked her 

 Naturally the rest of us looked to where he was staring. Sure enough that was what was on her right wrist. Five separate colors. My natural protective instincts just got stronger.  

 “Uh, yeah.” She mumbled, dropping her arms to her sides 

 She obviously didn’t want us to know about it or the meanings behind the colors she’d chosen. That concerned me greatly. Her whole demeanor was concerning me as a matter of fact. 

 “I think I know what the colors mean. Correct me if I’m wrong. Green is for depression, teal is for anxiety, orange is for…… hunger” Zach stated as he looked up into her eyes, “….black is for….. self-harm….. and purple is for domestic violence.” 

 I watched the interaction between the two. Zach’s eyes were teary. She just stayed silent as the four of us stared at her. 

 “Why are you representing those colors?” Brent cautiously stated, voice filled with concern 

 “Depression, Anxiety, Hunger, Self-Harm, and Domestic Violence.” I repeated, looking more carefully at her 

 There was so much more to this young woman than any of us realized. We weren’t judgmental people. We didn’t look down on anyone for things. But the self-harm and domestic violence raised some serious questions and concerns. 

 “I understand the depression and anxiety. There’s plenty of young people, especially college students, who suffer from those. What concerns me is the self-harm and domestic violence.” Barry added  

“I’m curious and worried about the hunger one.” Zach added  

“Please tell us what’s going on with you.” Brent urged, reaching out to squeeze her shoulder affectionately  

“I… I’m fine. Really.” She quickly declared

  I’m not sure about the other guys but her flinch didn’t go unnoticed by me. 

 “Representing those colors means you’re not fine.” Zach retorted 

 He wasn’t trying to be mean or harsh. He’d had a close cousin commit suicide so the protectiveness in him was in high-drive. To tell you the truth, so was mine.   

“Guys, we need to board the bus and hit the road.” Jake said as he came up to where were standing 

 Zach grabbed a hold of her arm, pulling her onto our bus. He plopped them down on the couch on the right side of the bus. We weren’t even giving her a chance to protest. I sat down on her other side while the other two sat directly across from us. It probably seemed like an intervention! Zach pressed her about her bracelet but she wouldn’t say anything about it. As a matter of fact she wouldn’t say anything.

 “Ok, Zach, leave her alone. She obviously doesn’t wanna talk about it.” Barry stated, “I do believe you promised to show us some of your projects.” 

 “Um, ok.” She said nervously  

We watched as she pulled her laptop out of her overly large bag. I looked over at Barry and he was looking at me with a concerned expression. Brent got up to get the HDMI cord she had asked about earlier and plugged it into the HD TV. She was booting up her laptop and plugging in a USB stick so she didn’t notice us just looking her over and taking her in. Even with the over-whelming protective instincts I found her incredibly attractive. The three-toned hair was really cool and very well done. I’m sure she didn’t coordinate her outfits with her hair everyday but she looked incredible today. 

 She was thin, perhaps slightly on the too-thin side, and on the short side. Well short compared to us. I’m the tallest guy in the band at a sad 5’9 and Zach is the shortest at 5’4. She’s slightly shorter than Zachy. Her dark eyes were very soulful even if they did belie the pain she was obviously holding in. Jake texted Zach to tell him we’d be stopping for dinner in about two hours.  

 She got a project going for us so we all turned our attention to the TV. Whatever projects the University had put into her file were most definitely not her best pieces! What she was showing us was amazing! Brent was nodding, Barry was grinning, and I was smiling too. I looked over at Zach but he was just watching her. He took his cousin’s suicide really hard. I think he was afraid she was suicidal. His big-brother instincts were in over-drive!

 She showed us project after project until we realized the bus was slowing down. Brent seemed surprised that we were pulling into Applebee’s already. She quickly packed her bag back up. Our driver Rick opened the door for us and she all but bolted off the bus. 

 “Did we do something wrong?” Zach questioned 

 I don’t think I’ve ever heard him speak with such a child-like voice before!

  “I think she’s uncomfortable around us.” Barry stated as we piled off the bus

  “Gentlemen I want to introduce you to your other two students Shawn Jones and Michael McDowel. Shawn is the technician and Michael is the business student.” Bill explained as we convened just inside the restaurant

 Zach was staying close to her. It was more than obvious she was uncomfortable. We wound up splitting up into two separate groups. The band & her and Bill, Jake, and the other two students. We were seated at a table for five and quickly sat down. She had to be hungry since she didn’t really get lunch. We were handed menus, which she quickly buried her nose in, before our waitress took our drink order.