Rebirth

Dib watched this strange new alien look himself over, and after a moment, he finally set him down and let him stand on his own two feet. "Your name is Zim," Dib said, not sure how to react. "Yes, I know." Dib blinked. "You know? What else do you know??" He asked eagerly. Zim shrugged. "I'm getting these thoughts and images in my head all at once. I know lots of things suddenly."

Dib was antsy, and so he decided to try an experiment. Reaching over, he grabbed Zim's hand. Zim seemed offended, about to yank his hand away when he suddenly stopped. "Dib..." Dib nodded and suddenly was pulled into a hug. Zim buried his head into Dib's shoulder, purring. "I didn't have to say goodbye after all. It worked!" Zim said happily. Dib had a sense of relief wash over him. "Why did you do it, Zim?" Dib asked, hugging him back. 

"I... I was tired of looking at myself. But as I expected, I still remember all of the pain. I wanted to forget about what Red and Purple did to me..." Zim said shakily. Dib gave Zim's hand a squeeze. "Look, I'm so sorry for what happened to you... But how could you order Gir to attack Earth? What does that have to do with anything?!" Dib instantly regretted shouting at the already distraught Irken, and he was about to apologize until he saw Zim's wide-eyed expression. "He's doing what..?"

"Launching an invasion on Earth. Isn't that what you told him?" Dib said, becoming confused. "No, no... I told him that he was in charge till I woke up, But I told him to call it off, I saw no reason to invade so why-"

The door opened and Gir stood in the doorway, covered in Irken blood.

"Gir! What happened??" Zim shouted, starting to run to the small bot

"Gir! What happened??" Zim shouted, starting to run to the small bot. Dib stopped him, grabbing his arm and yanking him back. "I'm sorry master. I thought I could make you better..." Zim's eyes widened. "I told you to LEAVE THE PLANET ALONE! How DARE you disobey my orders!" Zim yelled, face contorting into one of anger. 

Gir started sparking, then began to walk closer. "But master... I Was doing all of this before you. How can you be a conqueror like this?" Zim seemed taken aback. "Like what..?" Dib began to back up, taking Zim with him. "Don't listen to him, Zim. There is nothing that you need to change." Dib said, in concern. Gir's face was blank. 

"Sir, when you gave me new components I finally understood so much. I know that your past traumas have gotten in the way of you fulfilling your own dreams. You are an invader. You are the leader of Irk, and the Armada. You have a duty, sir. Dib is in the way, and so are the unnecessary emotions you have."

Zim looked down, starting to think about Gir's words. "Your physical appearance was never the problem, Sir. Your Pak is flawed, and therefore you are." Zim shook his head, seeming to become panicked. "Gir, stop talking... Th-that's an order."  The two were backed into the wall, but Gir continued to approach. "I never should have given him new components..!" Zim said, angry with himself.

Zim seemed to have an idea, and his Pak limbs came out, lifting him up. He tried to take a jab at Gir, but the limb came to a halt, going no further. "That was all I had time to reprogram before I was interrupted," Gir said solemnly, shooting a glare at Dib. "W-what did you do?!" Zim screeched, enraged. He made another limb fly toward Gir, but the effect remained the same. Then, the limbs began to move on their own, crawling to Gir who now stood and waited, lifting up his hands.

"Gir! Stop that this instant!" Zim shouted, reaching his hand back to Dib, who grabbed his hand, only to be drug along. "This time, I'll fix all of it. We can be happy again, sir. Just like before." Zim vigorously shook his head. "No! I don't want to! What makes you think I was ever happy, Gir?" Zim cried out. Everything had gone silent, and for a moment, it was as if time itself had frozen. Zim and Gir were just staring at each other. Dib noticed the opportunity and decided to do something, no matter the outcome. 

Dib lunged at Gir, tackling the robot to the ground and punching the so-called 'soft spots'. He managed to crack one of Gir's optic lenses before the robot got the upper hand again, coming out of his initial shock. Zim had snapped out of his own as well.

"If you harm a single hair on his head, I will never forgive you!" Gir paused again at Zim's words. Dib took his opening without hesitation, punching Gir's other eye and shattering the lens. Bits of it were embedded in his knuckled but he wasn't going t stop. He punched at Gir with all the rage he could muster, all the while Zim was held in suspense, his limbs not retracting or listening at all. "Both of you quit it!"

Even though it obviously would have no effect, Dib rolled over and strangled the robot. "Zim is fine the way he is! He is a great leader- although his ways are uncouth- and he is a good Invader! Everyone has their problems, but Zim is his own person- or Irken- and you have no right to change him to fit the mold you want!"

Gir has stopped struggling and seemed to take in Dib's words. "Dib..." Zim said softly, touched by his words too. Dib looked over at him and flashed the kindest smile Zim had seen in a while. "I guess you are right for once, Dib. I just thought that he would feel better if he could forget about his troubles. I only wanted him to be happy..." The Pak limbs suddenly retracted, and Zim fell to the ground. Dib turned and rushed to Zim's side, helping him up. Gir stood as well, still sparking occasionally.

Zim looked at the little robot and grimaced. "Gir, I will give you a second chance, IF you promise not to harm anyone else and to call off the armada. Do that, and I'll let you keep your components. If not, one of two things will happen." Gir nodded, eyes reverting to blue. Dib stayed by Zim's side, shocked that he was being so calm. He half expected him to be in a fit of rage.

Dib smiled. He knew deep down that Zim wasn't a complete psychopath and had compassion. "One, I will either remove your components and put that junk back in, or two, I will have your memory chip loaded with the worst virus I possibly can and have you scrapped and shot out into Earth's closest star. The choice depends on my mood. Got it?" Zim smiled eerily, leaning menacingly over the robot and laughing evilly. Dib made a face and sighed. Never mind, still somewhat crazy. 

"As for you!" Zim said, whipping around and backhanding Dib. "How dare you break my bot's eyes!" Dib stumbled back, holding the side of his face, and lost for words. The anger in Zim's expression faded in an instant, and he smiled, his teeth razor sharp. He approached and pulled Dib into a hug. "Sorry...Thank you for saving me, Dib."