Folie à deux

Time was a funny thing in space. Dib wasn't too sure how long he'd been in the room, but guards would occasionally bring him food. He was finishing he supposed his third meal when the door opened unexpectedly. Zim stood in the doorway, seeming distraught.

"Zim? Are you alright?" He asked. Setting the food aside and standing. Zim didn't answer, he only walked towards him slowly, clawing at his chest as if it was terribly itchy.

"I should be asking you that. Your face is a mess." Zim sighed. Dib blinked in confusion, touching his cheek which started to sting slightly. "But. I did this a while ago, it should be fine."

"You've been out for two days, and when you were awake a few hours prior to now, you were hitting yourself again and screaming," Zim informed.

Dib thought that was strange, he didn't recall hitting himself again. "Are you just here to check up on me then?" He asked, finally putting his glasses back on.

Zim stood in front of him, eyes seeming to ponder the question. "I took my meds, perhaps more than I should... but I feel well enough to spend some time with you if you would allow it." He stifled a cough but played it off as clearing his throat. Dib wasn't convinced, however.

"Of course." He smiled, patting the space next to him on the bed. Zim sat down awkwardly, fidgeting. Dib caught an odd smell coming off the Irken. "What's that smell? It's like cologne." Zim flinched at the question, his fidgeting becoming more pronounced.

"Is it... not pleasant?" Zim asked hesitantly.  Dib quickly waved his hands. "It's great! I really like it, Zim!" He said frantically. Zim nodded and relaxed somewhat. "I suppose this is the part where I should apologize."

Dib glanced at the Irken, who was now looking at him directly. There was a long moment of silence, and Dib could practically see Zim's thought process. "Well," The Irken began, only to quickly close his mouth. There was a sudden range of emotions that played across Zim's face, which made him stand up quickly. "I should never have made you go through that. I am sorry. A lot has happened, and I really mean a lot..."

Dim found himself nodding at those words, which made Zim frown. Another long silence. Zim balled his hands into fists and grimaced. "Though I wish it did not have to go this way, I wanted to tell you this while I was still me, sort of." Dib already wasn't sure he liked where this was going, tensing up, ready to jump up if needed.

"I... I am not good for you. Not in the slightest. So while my head is clear, I have decided to let you go. There is a pod destined for Earth. You will be escorted there evidently, and our contact will be severed." Zim's voice trembled, and the corner of his mouth twitched upwards slightly. Dib jumped up, furious. 

"What the hell are you saying? This is it? Sure we have our moments but you can't just get rid of me after I've waited so long to see you again!" Dib shouted, startling the Irken. "One day, you will see that this is for the best. I'm... broken, Dib. So broken." Zim grabbed Dib by the wrist and began dragging him to the door. Dib attempted to resist but found it difficult to do so.

He was dragged out into the hallway, where two guards waited to escort him. "This is it. Dib, I hereby release you back to earth to live a normal human life." Dim yelled over Zim as the two guards attempted to restrain him. "NO! I don't want to go! You can't make me! What about our promise?? You said you wouldn't leave me!"

Zim snapped, stomping his foot and making his guards drop to their knees and cower. "I'm dying, Dib!" He yelled, leaving a long silence to fall in the hallway after. Dib's eyes widened. "What..?" He asked slowly. Zim seemed to regret saying it but suddenly steeled himself, taking a slow breath.

"I know Gir probably told you something. Something went wrong with reattaching my PAK to this old body. Besides, we had a long talk after you returned to the mother ship. If I love you like I think I do, then this just makes sense. You belong on your planet. Sorry, but I'm going to break my promise. Someday you will realize that this is the best -the only- option."

Zim took Dib by the hand, waving the guards away. Dib was processing, so Zim carefully began leading him down the halls towards the pod bay. They were nearly there when Dib snapped out of it. "Can't you just make a new body? Come on, you can't just give up, Zim!" Dib pleaded.

"Even so, my mind is still... I do not take pleasure in upsetting or hurting you, but here recently, I have lost more and more of myself. What I witnessed you doing to yourself before, I do not want to see again. Nothing is worse than that. If you hang around me like this, it will only end up hurting you. Changing you, into something you are not." Zim replied solemnly as the bay door opened and the two walked in.

Dib was conflicted. Zim, in a lot of ways, was right. The things he witnessed during his stay with Zim were just one atrocity after another, but the thought of losing him seemed even worse. It wasn't long before he found himself scheming. If he could just convince Zim, or even Gir, to try and make him a new body, he knew he could manage Zim's violent and uncouth behaviors. He had already become sort of used to it, in fact, it was as if he was adapting to match him.

"Dib, I can see you are trying to use that stupid head of yours again." Zim sighed. "Whatever you are plotting, it will not work. My decision is final." At that, Dib began to thrash around violently and resist as they approached an open pod. "I don't want to go, Zim! He screamed, jabbing his elbow into the Irken's side. Zim let go and crumpled to the floor, clutching his side and groaning. Dib felt sorry, but he turned and began sprinting out of the bay.

Zim rolled around a bit, his grimace slowly becoming a grin. At first, he chuckled, then burst out laughing. His PAK limbs activated and he let himself dangle there limply, blood trickling from the corners of his mouth. "Gir, seal all exits and bring him back here. I'm putting an end to this now."