Unsure

Dib wasn't sure if he should have accepted Zim's offer after all. It was only a few hours in, and he knew he had said yes in the heat of the moment, but...

-Dib's POV-

Zim was talking to some of the Irkens, but I had kept my distance for some reason. I found out why as soon as the two Irkens were dropped down a chute for no reason. Zim's way of running things was... a little over the top. He approached me and I smiled as he pulled me into a hug. I really liked Zim, but I really like the old him. I was just so happy when I finally met him again that I didn't realize till now that the Zim I had fallen for was long gone.

"Dib, I know it's been a few hours since you agreed to be with me, but I can't help but feel that you're distancing yourself," Zim said curtly, his hug turning into more of a way to keep me in place.  I patted his arm to try and get him to let go. "I just didn't want to get in the way of your work."

Zim, though reluctantly, let go and looked at me, his eyes intimidating. "If what your saying is true, then just know that you don't have to worry about being in the way. The only ones in the way are these incompetent weaklings." Zim scoffed, glancing at some Irkens who noticed and made themselves scarce.

"Though I am busy, I do not mind if you tag along while I fix Gir's mess." Zim then turned and began barking orders to his short-statured minions. I tagged along, but once again found myself straying further and further behind. At some point, I had lost Zim altogether, and then just wandered around the massive mothership.

With the silence, I was now alone with my thoughts again. I made sure to take note of my surroundings, noticing the blood on the walls and the general bad vibe certain parts of the ship gave off. on the occasion I would run into others, they bowed deeply and ran off. I didn't think I was scared but then again Zim may have ordered them to keep their distance.

I huffed and finally stopped one of the few that I came across next. They seemed hesitant, and they kept looking over their shoulder as if Zim would appear at any moment, and knowing him, he probably would.

I knelt down to the Irken and smiled. "You don't have to be scared. I'm a little lost, could you guide me around?" The Irken nodded quickly, but their face paled. "If you're worried about Zim, I'll vouch for you. I won't let him hurt you."

My words seemed to calm them down, though I honestly wasn't sure if I could protect the little alien. Zim was about as unpredictable as they get. I'd have to keep tabs on this one 24/7 to make sure Zim didn't have them killed as soon as I wasn't around. And if Zim is hostile towards me on the regular, then this little guy doesn't stand a chance.

"So, what's your name?" I asked as we walked down the winding halls. "My name is not important, sir, though I'm flattered you are kind enough to ask." I sighed, then tried again. I wanted to actually get to know them, but perhaps it wasn't a good idea to get attached to Irkens that would probably be killed within a few days.

"I would be honored to know your name," I said, looking at them till eye contact was made. "Uh, Mek... My name is Mek." I smiled and held out my hand, in which Mek flinched. "Nice to meet you, Mek, I'm Dib." The crimson-eyed alien seemed surprised yet again but finally, a smile came across their face. 

After shaking my hand, we continued along on our little tour, Mek telling me about the rooms, and every now and then about Irk, or even about themselves. After a while, the intercom came on and Zim's old voice rang though, which surprised me. "Dib? Where are you? Get back up here before I-" 

Static came through the intercom before it went silent. Glancing down, Mek had become fearful and pale again. With a bit of reassurance, however, I managed to calm the Irken down and we made our way back to the Control room in record time. Mek fled just before the door open, so I appeared alone.

I didn't blame them. Zim looked furious, and he was back in his original body which made him look even more frightening. Maybe it was because of the times he came to my house to kill me. 

"Where were you? It's been over an hour!" Zim yelled, enraged. Had it really been that long? I was about to speak when he started up again. "I had time to get my body back AND retransfer my PAK to it, and when I wake, not a single of these useless fools knows where you are!"

"I was walking around the ship and I got a bit lost, that's all," I answered, conveniently leaving Mek out of the conversation. "I told you to stay next to me!" Zim spat, storming over. I did all in my power to stand my ground. "No, you said you didn't mind if I tagged along." I corrected, which only seemed to shorten his already nonexistent fuse.

He suddenly turned and redirected his anger onto one of the Irken's manning the computers, kicking them in the head and then stomping them a few times when they hit the floor. I grabbed his arm and yanked him away, allowing the Irken to recoup and scurry to a corner. "If you're mad at me, then take it out on me."

And without hesitation, he did. He gave me a solid punch to the gut which sent me keeling over. I waited for a barrage of blows, but nothing else happened. Getting the courage, I glanced up to see Zim trembling. "Dib, I'm sorry- It was an accident!" he stammered trying to help me up. I smacked his hand away, glaring. 

"You need to get that anger of yours in check or you'll be alone for the rest of your life." I spat, forcing myself to stand upright. I waited for him to yell, but he just stood there silently. I hobbled my way out of the command room and left him to his regrets.