Picking Up the Pieces

Dib knew Zim wasn't playing. As the entire mothership went on lockdown, the only place he could think to go was his room. He knew it was stupid, as this was probably one of the first places the Irken would look, but when he went to check the door it was sealed tight. Trapped, Dib just curled up on his bed, biting his nails and watching the door.

Deep down he knew it was for the best. "Damn you, Zim..." He mumbled as he began to tear up. He wiped his eyes and sat up as he heard footsteps approach his door. He could try to convince him one last time. He took a deep breath, but when the door opened, Gir was there. Dib slumped in utter disbelief as the robot motioned for him to follow.

"Come along, I will see you off in my master's stead." Dib refused to move. "Why? Why are you here instead of him? I want to talk to Zim! We are supposed to talk about this as a couple! that's what we are, aren't we?!" Dib shouted, grabbing his pillow and launching it at the robot, who caught it and set it to the side.

"As of now, My master has told me that your status as a 'couple' has been terminated." Gir held out a hand, waiting expectantly, but not leaving from the doorway. Dib was furious. "He's breaking up with me? Say it to my face, Zim! Say it!" Dib hopped up and ran to Gir, with every intention of kicking the robot.

However, Gir quickly restrained him, lifting him up in the air so resistance was futile. Gir made his way back to the pod bay while Dib screamed bloody murder and tried to wriggle out of the robotic arms. "Zim! You're a coward! Say it to my face!" He looked back at Gir, scowling. "Fix him, Gir! I know you can! Make him another body  or something!"

Gir remained silent, but Zim responded from behind the two, his voice monotone, almost robotic. "Dib, It will never work between us. I know that now, and I hope you will figure it out too. This is me formally terminating our relationship." Dib was silent for a moment and slowly turned his head a bit. "That sounded like you just read it off a script."

"I did." The Irken responded with a sigh, tossing a holographic screen panel to the floor. Gir turned, allowing Dib to face Zim. Dib gasped when he saw just how awful Zim looked. The alien was staring at him, frowning ever so slightly as he hung limply from his PAK. "This has been drawn out long enough, Dib. I never wanted you to see me like this. So, this final act is me saying... I love you, Dib."

The Irken approached and planted a single kiss on Dib's forehead before waving him away. Gir began walking and Dib cried out for Zim, who seemed to crumple to the floor, eyes filled with pain as the two turned the corner. There was a moment when Dib felt something in his chest twinge, and even Gir halted for a moment, red eyes returning to blue.

"Masta..?" The robot called out weakly. Dib watched Gir slump slightly before slowly continuing on,  Dib knew what that meant. He broke down, sobbing as they entered the bay. Gir set him down after the door closed behind them, and Dib just dropped to his knees. Gir sat down beside him. Dib lowered his head and closed his eyes. "I... I'm ready to go back," he said in almost a whisper, rising to his feet. Gir walked with him to a Pod, opening the hatch as its engine started.

Dib climbed in and stared ahead. "Gir, you have to bring him back. Even... Even if he doesn't remember me..." Gir didn't respond as the door closed and the pod began to hover. The hangar doors opened and the pod flew out with its destination set. Dib watched the endless stars and galaxies spread out before him. He refused to turn around to watch as the mothership would fade into the vast distance.

For a while, he held back his tears. He wanted to stay strong, but that only worked for so long. "Zim, I miss you already. I'm not even sure why, since I don't know if your kind even has spirits or an afterlife, But For my own sanity, I'm just going to pretend that you do and that you can hear me..."