Earth

-Dib's POV-

I was astounded, and I carefully hugged Zim back. My cheek did sting, but the sudden feeling of joy in that moment seemed to make it go away. When Zim let go, his face told me that it was 'back to business. He looked at Gir, and the bot nodded through cracked lenses and ran out of the room. "Alright, let's go," Zim said, grabbing my hand and leading me out. My heart skipped a beat, but I didn't say anything for fear of ruining the moment or having Zim change his mind.

Once we were back in the control room I felt sick to my stomach. There were dismembered Irkens everywhere. Gir was mushing some of the bodies and limbs to the side, clearing a path for Zim. Zim let go of my hand, but his reaction was only half unexpected. "Gir... This is quite good work, yes. If it weren't our ship navigators." He said with a half impressed tone. "I apologize, I was... Frustrated." Zim looked at the bot, his antenna twitching, and he pressed his lips together in a flat smile. 

"Oh, that's right. You didn't want Dib to wake me up. It would ruin your plans, huh?" Gir reluctantly nodded, getting a cloth and wiping some of the blood off of the center chair. The tension between the two was palpable. I glanced out the window and saw the earth, as well as all the Irken ships leaving it.

"So, you were never happy?" Gir said suddenly, and I looked back to see how Zim was planning on reacting. His words back there had surprised me as well. Zim looked down, and he began fidgeting. "No... I wasn't." After that, neither one of them we into the subject further. Gir just cleaned and Zim simply paced around. I noticed some Irkens cowering in corners, but I decided to just stay quiet and watch earth. Pods began returning to the Mothership, much to my relief.

Zim coughed suddenly, bringing my attention back to him. He had stopped pacing and was looking at his hand, blood drenching it. "Zim, are you okay?" Zim waved me away. "I'm fine, it's nothing," he said, seeming to distance himself. Gir glanced in his direction as well, but then turned away and resumed cleaning. For a robot, Gir had some pretty tell-tale body language. He was uncomfortable, that much was true. The Earth was engulfed in flames, so much so that I could see them all the way out here. 

I sighed at the destruction Gir had wrought on my planet, but when I turned to address it, both Gir and Zim were nowhere to be seen in the room. Strange thing was, I didn't even hear them leave. I scratched my head and glanced at one of the small cowering Irkens. "Did they leave just now?" I asked, and got a curt reply. "Yeah, about 5 minutes ago." I glanced once more at the planet in turmoil and then turned and walked out of the command room. 

Glancing around, everything in the hall was empty and quiet. I looked at the floor knowingly and followed the obvious blood droplets Zim left behind, carless as always. I smiled at the thought, but Hearing the coughing again in the distance I got back on track and made my way down the halls and back to the strange room I had woke Zim up in earlier. He was with Gir, his shoulders slumped. An unusual trait for him.

I slowly walked in and made my presence known. Zim looked at me almost like he was surprised, but he quickly turned away as if ashamed. "Zim, are you alright, tell me the truth. I mean something is obviously wrong... But I want to hear it from you."

"Your puny human brain couldn't even begin to fathom what is happening..." Zim scoffed, putting up a front as always. I wouldn't let him this time. "Then dumb it down for this stupid human," I said, continuing my approach. Seemingly taken aback, Zim sighed. "Something is wrong with this new body that Gir nor I calculated properly. If I can't fix it soon, well..." Zim sighed and his antennae drooped.

He quickly perked up, however, laughing his maniacal laugh and putting his hands on my shoulders, grinning widely. "But no matter! I've Given up on my dreams of being a perfect Irken! Gir Said I can go retrieve my old body if I wanted to, In which I could survive, But I think I should just spend what time I have left with you."

I blinked in shock. "Shut the hell up Zim," I said suddenly, grabbing his shoulders as well. It was like I was on autopilot. Zim seemed to stiffen up, his smile fading. "We're going to go and get your old body back, because never in a million years would I shorten my time with you. And second, I can't just let you skip out on me now that my planet is all fucked up. Nice try, Darling." I smirked, putting a finger under his chin.

Zim blushed and pushed me away, but it wasn't vicious. He laughed awkwardly and then sighed. "I'm sorry... To both of you." He said suddenly, looking at me and then Gir. I've caused a big mess because I've been selfish. I was just tired... so tired..." He reached up to the back of his head and touched it, sighing again. I wrapped him in my arms, albeit carefully, and gave him a big hug. 

-Zim's POV-

I realized I had a chance to set everything right again, but I wasn't sure if I could actually pull it off. I mean, it was going to be a lot of unnecessary work, but maybe, just maybe... I copied Dib's action, giving him a small squeeze as I hugged him back. "I have a proposition, Dib," I said, holding back the urge to cough as best as I could. I pulled away so I could meet his eyes. "I get better, fix your planet, and then, you stay on the ship with me forever and we kill things on other, not as significant to your own very insignificant planet together for eternity."

I smiled proudly, only to be met with a puzzled expression. Was my confession no good? Is that not how one pledges commitment to a relationship..? Damn these humans.

Dib pressed his lips together and glanced to the side, though there was nothing of importance to look at over there. Gir sparked, just watching, and then sighed. "He is asking you to be his partner for life," Gir said after a moment, and from there Dib's eyes lit up and he looked back at me. "For real?" I now found myself looking at nothing particularly interesting in the corner. "Yes? I think so..." Gir kicked my ankle. "Yes! that is what I meant!"

Dib embraced me again, and we went crashing to the floor. "Then I accept! I love you, Zim!"