Not the same

He was looking at me, his eyes full of hurt. He was angry, and he had every right to be furious. "I didn't expect this from you, Selena," he said through gritted teeth. He trusted me the most, so his reaction was expected, but he needed to understand our concerns regarding the kids.

"I know, Emerson. I'm sorry, but we had to do it."

He gave me an incredulous look but then sighed. "What's done is done. Now these kids are my responsibility."

At that moment, my heart sank. After my breakup with him, the children were my reason to live. The thought of sending them away from me made me sick to my stomach.

"No, Emerson, you can't do this," I protested immediately.

"Why can't I? Your responsibility is over now."

Tears started to spill out of my eyes. "Please, Emerson, you need to understand our reasons."

"What reasons, huh?" he asked, trying to control his anger.

"First, come with me to the backyard," I said, motioning to our parents to let me try. They all nodded, and I dragged him outside with me.

He's different. Instead of taking his anger out on a punching bag like most guys, he spends his time in nature with trees, birds, and flowers. That hasn’t changed over the years.

I don't know if it will work now, but I needed him to be sober. I kept my hands on his cheeks. At first, he protested but then melted. He couldn't meet my eyes. "Look at me, Emerson," I whispered. Although it was awkward, the situation demanded my attention. He lifted his gorgeous sea-green eyes and glanced at me. Though the anger was still there, his eyes now showed a different, older emotion. I still had an effect on him, and I was proud of that.

"Why'd you do it?" he asked, looking like he was about to cry. He loved Laura very much.

"You look like Thor from Endgame right now," I said, and he chuckled but then gave me a serious look. I sighed. "I didn't want the kids to have the same fate as their parents." My eyes traveled to his lips, and I missed those on mine. I distanced myself from him, noticing the spark between us still existed. But he grabbed my wrist to prevent me from getting away.

"Don't leave me again," he pleaded. Honestly, I would have stayed, but for the sake of my self-respect, I had to fight those feelings.

"You left me, not the other way around. So please don't try to revive the bond we lost years ago. You have no idea how much I went through because of it." He glanced at me with sympathy.

"I know, but do you really think the separation didn't impact me at all?"

"But this relationship strained our friendship. I already made it clear we can never be together. I'm just asking you to keep our bond of friendship alive." I half-smiled.

I should have known we can never be one part of the same coin.

I was about to leave but halted when he said, "I want to be a part of their life."

I turned around. "Nobody has stopped you, Emerson. We're just waiting for you to become a powerful man, and you are now."

"By part of their life, I mean I want them to live with me." His words made my heart sink.

"You want me to hand over their guardianship to you?" I asked, my heart beating frantically, and he nodded.

"I can't live without those kids. I haven't slept since they left for camp, and now you're saying you want to take them away from me. Sorry, Emerson, I can't do it." I turned to walk away, but he grabbed my wrist. Our chests collided, and I tried to glare at him but couldn't meet his eyes.