Hourglass Games: Task 5 (Maisy Bellon) D10

Violet sauntered towards me as I stood in the corner. Blood streamed from the whip lashes on my body.

"You're useless, Maisy." She sneered, coiling the whip up. I didn't respond, it would only make me angrier, "You're going to die. Just like your hopeless mother."

"Don't say anything about her!" I hissed. She smirked - I couldn't move. I was a helpless child, I always would be.

"Silly child," Violet chuckled, shaking her head, "Death is inevitable," I screamed as loud as I could as she wrapped the whip around my neck and strangled me. The blackness clouded my vision. I saw the glint of a blade, right before I felt an incredible pain in my chest.

**

I jolted awake, flailing around. I tried to stab the evil witch with my dagger, only to find that it was not real. Death is inevitable. She spoke the truth. Someone once told me that a dream was a fragmentation of what has happened, or what is to happen. I still don't know whether to believe it or not.

I got to my senses and ordered myself to move. I took a swig of water before realizing that I had company last night. Verena. I had no idea why I had stayed last night. She could have killed me for God's sakes!! I should have snuck off or something. Dumbass! My negative side yelled in my mind. I was stupid. This is why I would never win, I know I'm going to die. Violet said so.

"Just shut up!" I muttered to myself. I should be thinking positively. Not dark thoughts like that. I got up and packed my sleeping bag and water bottle into my pack. I was going to help Ransom. If I can't make it back - then I'll make sure he does (even though he is one evil little gremlin most the time). I slung the pack over my shoulders and clutched my dagger tightly. Just as I was about to walk off, I saw her brown hair.

"I wouldn't do that, if I were you." Verena smirked as she held her knife in a throwing position. I had seen her hit a target in the heart from meters away, it would be child's play to hit me from less than three.

"I - I was just..." I managed to get out, rapidly thinking of a way to get out of this, "I was just looking for you,"

It's odd that even though I had accepted my fate of death - I still wanted to be alive. Think positive girl! The voice in my mind screamed.

I was lucky when I caught sight of the District 1 girl leaping from a tree and tackling Verena down. First, I was shocked as they went into fighting mode. Secondly, I had no idea why I hadn't started running. I spun on my heel but the canon forced me to see who had died. Verena let the girl's body drop to the ground - blood covered both of their bodies. Now my mind went into action - I sprinted as fast as I could with Verena chasing after me.

The ground began to shake, I stumbled over the ground as it creaked and groaned under my feet. As if it was alive. Verena let out a sharp yell and I felt something hit my pack - I prayed that it wouldn't harm me. Taking a quick look behind me, I saw Verena had fell but I continued running at full speed. I was a good runner, so it wasn't long before I reached a new area in the arena that was far enough away.

Unfortunately for me, that was when the lake exploded. It made the lava run down the volcano and as the glittery water seeped out through the cracks - I couldn't think of anything to do. I waded through the water, away from the lava, to a small rocky hump. I almost laughed when I saw Ransom clinging to the rock like it was his life. I gave him a wave, which he returned with an oh-not-you-again look. I crawled up and sat next to him.

"Hi," I smiled.

"Hi," he muttered. Then I remembered that he couldn't swim. No wonder he looks so scared.