Carnival Games: Task 2 (Maxine Carlos)

** Task - The Fear **

I limp away to Morgan, Cleo and Arwen. Callisto wasn't exactly nice when he dragged me back to the others. My head is throbbing painfully, he kicked me several times on the back of my head. My stomach isn't fairing well either. It has hunger pains and is also sore from a good beating. I finally arrive where they are.
"What dicks!" Cleo exclaims once I arrive,
"Tell me about it," I mutter, holding my stomach. I notice Morgan's black eye and Arwen has bruises forming on her arms. Cleo is a whole different story. Her brown hair is wild and messy, her hands are bloody from who knows what and I notice she is favouring one side. I don't bother asking what happened. She looks worse than me and I don't want to go through details with her.
"So, where should we stay for the night?" I ask,
"Back where we hid," Arwen replies, "It should be nice and comfy with all the toys,
We all nod in agreement and start walking and limping back to our toy stall.
"One thing's for sure, I'm definitely not sleeping," Cleo breaks the silence between us. The truth is, I don't think anyone will sleep tonight, not with those Gamemakers wandering around.

It looks around midnight when screaming starts. I rub my temples in an attempt to ease the pain that is being caused by the screaming.
"This place can't be that scary," Morgan grumbles,
"Well, there are some psychopaths on the loose," Arwen replies
"Let's just hope it doesn't come near us," Morgan pulls out his leather journal and starts writing something down,
The screaming stops.
"What do you write in there?" Cleo asks loudly. I wish I could tone down her voice, she talks so loudly sometimes. Actually, most the time.
"Just...," Morgan searches for a word, "Stuff," 
He is quite secretive about his journal. Maybe he writes a diary.
"It's not nice to keep secrets," Cleo remarks
"Help me!" the screaming starts again, I look at the others before darting out and searching for the source of the screaming. My eyes land on a girl high up in a cart on the ferris wheel. I can just make out the silhouette behind her. He has an afro and a glowing red nose. Only a clown comes to my mind. Is she scared of clowns?
"God," I mutter, "It's only a clown up there,"
"Should we help?" Morgan asks, I notice that Arwen and Cleo also are behind be. I turn to Morgan and shrug in reply then turn back around just in time to see the girl stumble. I gasp as she tumbles over the edge.
"Leila!" someone screams from the top. The girl, Leila, continues falling and I cringe as I hear the crunch of her bones as she hits the ground. A canon sounds. Her body is mangled. Her limbs are in unnatural positions and blood is pouring out from her head which must have cracked on impact. I shudder involuntarily. Yuck.
"Shit," Arwen mumbles behind me, I now think the same thing. Someone just died. In a place where I am trapped. Suddenly screams come from every direction. I turn to look around. The Carnival is in chaos. Some people are running in different directions, while others are curled up in a ball crying for their family, the remaining are running from thin air. They must be able to see something that I can not. They punch the air or grip onto nothing but somehow I get the feeling someone is there. I look towards Morgan, well where he was, because he is no longer there. I spot Arwen running in circles then she comes and shakes my shoulders.
"Tell them to go away!" she yells. I gently push her off me.
"Arwen it's..." I don't finish
"Go away!" she yells and runs off. She holds her head in her hands while running. Weird. It is only then when I notice the movement on the ground. Spiders. One of my worst fears. I run screaming. I'm not quite sure where I am running to but it is away from the spiders. I see Cleo, she is brushing off spiders.
"Help Max!" she shouts, I run towards her and grab onto her and drag her from the spiders. Suddenly snakes appear from the ground. Cleo screams and veers to the left.Looking up, I spot a man in a suit. Maybe it's the FBI or someone.
"Hey," I breathe hard from running, as Cleo comes to a halt "I'm so happy you came to rescue us because..." I trail off when I see his gun aimed at a girl, no older than 15. I hear Cleo scream, probably from the snakes, then I notice the girl is also screaming. I don't know why she isn't moving. FBI man's lips are moving but I can't hear him. Obviously the girl can, judging by her loud screaming. I see a boy trying to get her away.
"Anastasia, run!" he shouts but Anastasia must be too shocked to move. 
"Don't shoot her!" I yell and jump to tackle the FBI man but I fall straight through him. I hear the gunshot then a canon. The blood seeps through her chest. She looks down but then falls limp onto the ground. I know the girl is dead. I'll be next if I don't run. I can feel the spiders, that I had forgotten about momentarily, run up my legs. I scream and brush them off frantically. I jump up and run to a building with a broken cafe sign on it. I've lost Cleo now. The doors slam shut behind me. I turn and breathe a sigh of relief. The spiders are gone. I should go out and help the others. I can't let my fears get in the way of helping them. I try to open the door but it doesn't budge. I shake the handle but it doesn't move.
"Argh," I mumble, then I suddenly find it hard to breathe. What the hell? I find myself breathing harder and quicker. My body is trying to get more oxygen but it isn't helping. I fan myself, trying to get more oxygen in. Nothing. I breathe faster, one of my worst fears is dying of suffocation. First the spiders, now this. I spot someone running towards me and I notice the walls coming closer.
"Max!" the person shouts, "Are you okay?"
I shake my head in reply. I can't speak. I don't have enough air. I notice that it is Cleo now. 
"The walls are coming closer!" Cleo shouts then she goes pale, "Why do I feel dizzy?"
I want to tell her it's from the lack of air. How did Cleo not notice earlier? The walls are within my reach now. I feel my eyes closing. I struggle to keep them open. Cleo falls to the ground pale. I fall to the ground next. I feel myself losing consciousness. Hold on, I repeat over and over in my head. Keep breathing. But there is no oxygen. Suddenly the walls go back out. Maybe the oxygen will come back. I close my eyes. I just need a rest. I hear a door open. Let the air in! I want to tell the person.
"Maxine! Cleo!" it sounds like two voices but I must be imagining it. Everything goes black.

I open my eyes and shade them from the light. Morgan, Arwen and Cleo sit around me. They are all pale and look shaken up. We already had injuries, now I'm sure that we all have mental scars. They give me a weak smile before turning back to the booth where our Gamemakers are.
"What a lovely night it was," the girl smirks evilly.