Mayhem: Task 3 (Rosella Monty)

** Task - Capture the Weapon **

A massive bloke came into our bookstore. Not as in fat - he was muscley - and really tall. He held a machine gun. We stopped our conversation and turned to him - he gave us a toothy grin.

"If your not in the supermarket within 5 minutes, I'll shove this gun up your bum and fire a whole round," he paused for a moment - I think to see our reactions. I tried not to scream and run out. "Understand?"

We all nodded our heads. He walked out of the room and a breathed a sigh of relief. When someone with a gun doesn't shoot you - it's always a win. We got some food and drinks from our packs then ate while we were on our way. Even though I didn't like this place - I wasn't going to get shot by being stupid. 

"Well, there's only one reason for them to make us go to the supermarket," Drew said, munching on a protein bar,

"And why is that?" I sighed, 

"It's the largest shop here - the perfect place for an alien ship to land,"

"And he's gone mad," I muttered to myself, "He's crazy," I signed to Murphy. Murphy nodded his head in agreement.

We arrived to find everyone else here. I did a quick count and got 18. Numbers were decreasing.

"You will be split into two teams for this. There is only one rule for this game," the microphone carried the familiar voice, "Capture the weapon," The microphone clicked off. How are we meant to do what it says when he only says two sentences. I quickly signed to Murphy to take the confused look off his face.

"My team will have red bands," the bulky man with the gun said, "His will have blue," he gestured to the smaller man - who is still quite tall - next to him. The man next to him looks like a kind person - but the situation I'm in currently begs to differ. The taller one begins handing out red bands. I watched as he gave red bands to my friends - well Murphy is my friend, the others are just...allies would be a good word, maybe aquaintances. Anyways, he left me without a red band. Murphy, Drew and Tove looked at me. So did the scary man.

"Sorry," he smirked, he knew we were all together, "But I seem to have run out,"

"Blue is my colour anyway," I said bravely. I was fighting off the tears that threatened to run down my face. I signed to Murphy what was going on.

"You aren't on my team," he signed back, a frown on his face,

"No, just stay with Drew and Tove. You'll be fine," I signed, and gave him a hug and went over to my blue team. I never had any luck. But it had to be intended - but why was the tall man picking on me? Was it because I looked scared earlier? I didn't really know but I was pissed, why me? But maybe others got split up too, but how would I know - it's not like I've actually talked to them. No matter what I thought, it wouldn't change anything. We still stood on opposite sides, staring each other down. Murphy looked like a lost puppy, I wanted to ask Tove to take care of him. She was the nicest person in my alliance. A sudden tap on my shoulder startled me.

"Ummm, Rosie," he said. I turned to see Alex.

"It's Rose," I said plainly. Then did a double take. "Aren't you dead?"

"Gee, thanks,"

"Sorry," I said shaking my head, "I didn't - "

"Shut up!" tall dude shouted "Scram you useless bums!" No one argued. We ran, he added "Anyone who doesn't participate will be shot on sight,"

I suddenly felt much more energetic, he sure knew how to motivate people - maybe just not in a good way. I ran beside Alex. Our team went to the back of the supermarket.
"What are we actually doing?" a boy asked
"Capturing the weapon," I replied. I already noticed some people were missing. Suddenly the other man popped up.
"Giorgi, get your team moving!" the bulky man must have shouted. Giorgi. That was his name. His hair was a little messy, it was every shade of blonde. If it weren't for bulky dude - I would find him quite threatening. However, his eyes - I couldn't tell if they were brown or grey, or both - gave him a soft, caring look. Then he pulled out his gun. 
"If I see anyone slacking off," Giorgi paused, gazing at 'his' team, "I will shoot you myself,"
I grabbed Alex and pulled him into some cover, I didn't realise I had my sword in my hand. Alex's eyes were wide, he had bags under his eyes.
"We're not actually going to go get that thing.....are we?" he said,
"I think anyone with the weapon obviously has an advantage. Plus, I don't want to get shot," I shrugged at the end, "Let's go." I pulled him behind me again. We weaved through the aisles - I had no idea where this weapon was exactly - but it would be somewhere around the middle. I caught a glimpse of Giorgi's glowing skin and froze behind the packets of chips - Alex, however, tripped over me. I cursed under my breath. 
"Someone's slacking off, are they?" I could just imagine his sadistic grin. 
"No!" a girl replied quickly,
"Eating - according to me - means that you're not participating," his footsteps came closer to us. I covered my mouth, hoping he couldn't hear my quick breaths, "And we knows what happens then," The gunshot made me jump and squeal at the same time, I wasn't sure if he heard me or not. I peeked around the shelf - I saw her blonde hair, twisted with aqua pieces. Blood poured out of her body. I resisted my urge to throw up. Concentrate! I ordered myself Get the weapon and you won't get shot. That was my theory anyway. Without Alex - I took off - I wasn't too sure why. My legs propelled my body forward. I dived under a shelf as I caught glimpse of an older boy with knives in his pockets - the band on his arm showed me that he was on my team (if you could call it that). He suddenly lunged at a girl about my age. She fought back for a moment, they rolled onto they ground. Her black hair covered her face. I considered saving her for a moment, but she was on the other team. Why let these people rule you, Rose!? True. I didn't have to do what they said. They both went motionless for a moment. Then the boy jumped off her body with spring in his step, the girl lay in a pool of her own blood. He stopped and locked eyes with me. I gripped my sword tighter.
"Good thing we're team mates," he winked at me, and walked off with a leap in his step. I shivered. How could someone be happy about that? He just killed someone. I stepped over her body - her dark eyes still held fear - I rushed over her then. How could someone live after all of this? Maybe I'm better off dying.. Don’t think like that! I mentally slapped myself. I sat down – a few meters from the body – and cried into my hands. My heart was pained. I missed everyone. I wanted to hide in my parent’s arms and let them protect me from everything. 

I was meant to visit my Mum in hospital the day before all this happened. I blew her off because I had already planned stuff with Murphy – now, I don’t know if I’ll ever see her again. Her sparkling blue eyes always looked happy, even though there was nothing to smile about. Her chocolate brown hair that was so silky even though it was never washed. Her frail hands entwined with mine. She had so much stress with her cancer – I was probably making it worse for her. 
I wiped some tears from my eyes and stood up as a girl and a boy came into view. Red bands were wrapped around their wrists – a sign of enemies. The boy was young, his hair was light and his eyes were a soft blue. The girl was older, maybe 12 or 13, her black hair hung in curls around her face and her blues eyes matched the boys. I doubted they were related though. I only just noticed the small piece of glass in the girl’s hand, but there was fear in her eyes. I gripped my sword with two hands. I didn’t want to kill them. I never liked being cruel or vicious to people – I didn't like showing that side of me – but this was an extreme case. I took a breath. 
“Get lost!” I snarled at them. It sounded like I was reciting poems from a boring book. I took another breath and put on a sly smile and twirled the sword in my fingers, letting in spin around. I took a step closer to them. 
“Want to end up like her?” I inclined my head towards the dead girl. Her hair was dyed a dark crimson from her blood, “Or I can give you a chance?” I tried to sound as natural and as calm as possible. It scared me how the boy on my team had killed her so easily – I was trying to act like him. These kids were young, they should be scared easily. But they were frozen in place. I sighed then stepped forward and flicked my sword at the glass in the girl’s hand. She screamed and clutched her hand, then grabbed the boy and ran off. I saw I dot of blood where she was standing. I must have cut her. Guilt racked my body. I shook my head to myself. Focus on the weapon! Without that weapon, I was a goner. I needed that to survive. I’ve read the Hunger Games a million times, a particular scene came to my mind. Where Katniss and Prim were out collecting snow. 
“How can we live like this?” Katniss said, 
“It’s not living,” Prim replied to her, “But it’s good enough,”
Right now – in this hell hole – it isn’t living. But living is better than facing the same fate as the girl on the ground. It’s not living: it’s surviving. All the books I’ve read have talked about the difference between living and surviving – and here I am in the same predicament. What am I doing?
“Slacking off, are we?” Giorgi came into view. I gasped. “You know what happens to – “  I didn’t let him finish his sentence. I launched myself at him and kneed him in the balls. I didn’t hang around after that – I just ran. I sprinted over the food items that were scattered on the ground. I turned into a random aisle and saw a miracle. The ultimate weapon stood on a pedestal about 3 meters high. It reflected the light off the blade: it was as if it were twinkling at me. I forced my legs to go faster than before. I needed it. The blade was a mixture of gold and silver, with red running down the center. The handle was black and the pommel had a huge ruby in the center. The guard curved up a little and matched the sword blade. It was almost hypnotizing. My feet carried me to the base of the pedestal, I saw the girl climbing up. Mine! My mind screamed and my hands and feet carried me up. I shoved down a boy who had decided to pull me down. I felt something scrape my ankle but ignored the pain and climbed faster. I can remember pushing the girl down to the ground as I reached the top. My hand locked around the handle of the sword and I held it in the air for a few moments – right before everything went black.