Misfortune: Task 6 (Aaron Cooper) D10 *Finals*

** Task - The End... Or is it? **

I zoomed to Tessa, where ever she may be. I suddenly fell to my feet, a huge explosion forced heat on me. But it soon returned to the cool temperature. I could see three silhouettes up ahead of me. One small, one medium and one large. The large one and the small one hugged. It must have been Niles and Tessa. I started running towards them. It all happened at once. I saw the glint of steel heading for Niles.
"No!" Tessa screamed, she threw her own knife back. My lessons had paid off, it seems. It was too late though. I saw Niles hit the ground first, then the killer fell as a canon boomed. I saw Tessa go to the ground, and thought she had been hit too, but I could hear her talking. She was helping Niles. I watched first, for any threats, then continued running.
"Niles! Come back!" she screamed, "Please!" her voice was desperate. It sounded as if a piece of her heart had been taken away - and never replaced. She was like a little ball beside him. I ran up to her but felt a stabbing pain in my neck. I ripped out the source - a needle. I could kill anyone with this......A wave of dizziness overcame me and I fell to the ground. The entire world went black.

My back was freezing. I sat up, my backpack was beside me and my knife - my butcher knife - was pulsing in my hand. I rubbed the back of my neck, the Capitol would pay for that. I'd kill them all. Tessa. I had to find her. She was going to get out of here. The anthem boomed through the silence, distracting me from my thoughts. The projection lit up the sky. The first face was Niles - not only an ally but through all the arguments, he was a friend. The next was the girl. Tessa must have killed her. If anyone ever hurt Tessa, I would torture then as painfully and as slowly as possible. The projection disappeared and the darkness came back. The moon was behind some clouds, hopefully it would come out soon - better to see. I gripped my knife tighter and stood up, I was in a small clearing at the edge of the forest. No one else was in sight. The Cornocopia was calm and eerie, the moon light that made it through the cloud reflected off the metal. I stepped out into the Cornocopia plains, glancing around for any threats. I suddenly got knocked to the ground, I recognised him - the boy from 12. He was two years older than me. I struggled against him - I wasn't very strong or muscley - but this dude looked like he could lift the entire world. I lifted my leg into his balls and punched him in the face. He groaned but kept throwing his fists at me. I caught a glimpse of an axe on the ground - it must be his weapon. There was only one chance I had.
"Tessa!" I shouted, then grunted as I tok another hit to the jaw. Blackness invaded my vision. Stay alive! For Tessa! Make this dude pay! I said every swear word I could think of, it gave me more strength and made me angry. I saw Tessa out of the corner of my eye. Then the moon came out from behind a cloud, it made a spectacular glow. I could see my victims face. He howled in pain and I took the chance, I grabbed my knife out and stabbed him. First in his stomach, and twisting the knife and pulling up. An organ flopped out of his body. Then I moved up, aiming for a rib or a lung. I heard a huge crunch, the boy from 12 would never make it out now. He was convulsing in pain. I grinned - this was what I ived for. I skipped his heart, going straight for his eyes. I stabbed his left eye and yanked out - his eyeball was on the tip of my knife - I opened his mouth with my spare hand.
"Looks like you're a bit hungry, mate," I smirked, shoving his eye into his mouth. I put my hand over his mouth and forced him to swallow. I pinched his nose, I couldn't kill him by suffocation - that was too nice. I let him spit the eye out then moved my knife to his heart. I slowly - ever so slowly - pierced his skin above his heart with my knife. By now he had lost too much blood to do anything. I went in deeper, I hit the butt of the knife with my palm to force it through and he took a final breath before his eyes glazed over. Boom! Next time someone wants to mess with me - they can think it over. Not that I'd mind killing another person anyways. I wiped the blood off and gave Tessa a hug. Her eyes were shut tight and her hands were blocking her ears.
"Sorry you had to see that," I said quietly, but he deserved it, "You saved me , Tess,"
"I didn't save Niles," she mumbled into my stomach like a little kid - which she was to me anyway.
"You knew we had to split off anyways," I said, "That's why the Capitol do this - to make us weak," It didn't work for me though. I would always be myself and they couldn't change me.
"Really?" she whispered, pulling away from me,
"Yep. But they can't fool me. No one's going to hurt me," I said. You're my only weakness, "It's just you, me and Zane now," I whispered. We had to get out of here. She did. I wasn't going to be weak. I'd kill myself to keep her living. Nothing was left for me in this world.
"We're not going to," she whispered, "You know...." she trailed off. I knew what she meant though. And I had to give her the right answer.
"Of course not," I replied. You weren't going to kill him Tessa - I was. "Zane!" I yelled out. I began to jog as I saw him.
"...Niles can't be dead.....who could kill him......why would someone do that....." he was murmuring,
"You gonna kill me?" he spat at my feet, "It's what we all have to do. It's almost like a normal thing now.." Just shut up Zane! I thought before answering. I had to be tactiful about this,
"I wish I could," I sighed, cutting off Zane. I hope they fell for it. Wolves howled off in the distance, maybe I could use them.
"Maybe we should get aaway from here," Tessa suggested nervously. She must have a thing for wolves.
"We'll be fine," I shrugged, I was grinning to myself. Wolves would take Zane, then I'd scare them away and kill myself. I wasn't going to let myself get ripped apart by some petty wolves.
"Wolves!" Tess screamed. Stupid Tess! She was going to get all of us killed. All the wolves jumped out. Zane looked like a bird about to take flight, but with a jerk of the head - Zane was dead. A canon boomed as Tess screamed. Zane's head rolled around on the snowy ground. I grabbed Tessa and sprinted, I dragged her behind me but I could feel her trying to catch up. To the Cornocopia. The wolves couldn't get up there. We were the only two left. I swore to myself, I couldn't believe I was going to do this.
"Jump up onto the Cornocopia," I ordered breathlessly. I lifted her up with alll the sgtrength I had left and threw her onto the metal. I kept running, I could feel the warm drool of the wolves flinging on my ankles.
"Aarone!" Tessa shouted. She knew what I was doing. I had to give some show. I spun around, slashing at the closest wolf - killing it. I spun again and kept running. Three more wolves were behind me - I doubted I could take them all.
"I love you Tess," I yelled. She would hear me. She would avenge me, I knew she would. The wolves howled behind me. Tessa yelled. I jumped into the forest, the leaves and branches scratching my face. I spun again and threw a throwing knife. Another one down. Suddenly a boom made me fall to the ground. A canon.
"Tessa!" I screamed out. She couldn't die! This was for her! The wolves ran from me. I cursed loudly and ran to the Cornocopia. A wolf was jumped down, with an arm in his mouth. I sprinted with all my energy to her. I did something that I hadn't done in my life. I cried. I jumped onto the cold metal and stroked her pale face.
"Tess, you silly girl," I laughed and cried, "You weren't meant to do this," I lay next to her body, until the took us both away.

I sat in my new house. The letter that I had just read in my hand. I lived by myself now, but I had found out about Tessa's family. Her life, what she did. Stalker - yes, but it was all for love. I read the letter again.
Tessa can come back. You can be together. Meet me at 9am, the address is on the back.
W.I

W.I. That was familiar. I shrugged. I got into some warm clothes and went outside. The white snow reminded me of the arena - and Tessa. I could get her back. I went to the address and waited. No one noticed who I was as they walked by. Maybe if I tortured them, they'd remember. I just wish Tessa was here instead of me. She would have helped everyone in the District. I had no one left to live for, she did. A man that I recognised to well walked briskly towards me. He shoved me into the alley. 
"Aaron, lovely morning isn't it," he said cheerily, 
"What do you want?" I hissed,
"I believe you wanted to be with Tessa, you mope," Whytt said,
"I do. How do are you proposing to do that?" I had my fists clenched at my side. He held up a needle.
"This is a death serum. You want it, or not?" his eyes twinkled. Did I want that? I had just said that there was nothing worth living for anymore. I could be with Tessa that way.
"It's yours, if you dare," he extended his hand with the needle. I snatched it from him, "I hope you have no regrets. You gave them a good Game," he said.
"That's all they wanted," I shrugged, "I just don't understand why you're doing this,"
"I'll get a lot of money if you die," he grinned his toothy smile,
"Spend it well then," I sighed. I moved the needle to my neck and stabbed it in. The gritting my teeth - I pressed the serum in, with one thought on my mind.
I'm coming for you Tessa.

The End