Hourglass Games: Task 7 (Maisy Bellon) D10 *Quarter-Finals*

'I jumped.'

I don't know when I stopped falling. But when I did, I was back in the cavern.

My body was wet and sticky, and the air was cold on my skin. I was breathing heavily: What the hell was going on? What had I done?

The mist seeped away, leaving two new headstones behind — two, of which, I didn't bother to look at.

I still had that terrible little girl in my mind — Vega. I didn't want to be like her, yet I was. There was no denying that I had changed, how could I be so naïve? I was a murderer.

"Maisy?" Ransom's hoarse voice broke me away from my thoughts. I remember what I did to him. I lied about this place. And before he could say anything else, I grabbed his wrist and dragged him out of the cavern. We left behind the bad dreams, as well as two new headstones that the mist had decided unworthy to live.

"Maisy, slow down!" Ransom ordered, but I had rushed up the muddy hole which had left him trailing me. I glanced down at his bloody hands than were right behind me and sighed.

"Just kill him already." A voice whispered in my ear, I jumped in fright and looked around. No one but Ransom and I were in here. But I had heard the voice before — it was so familiar.

"Go on then," Ransom said as he caught his breath. I could easily shove him down and send him flying to the center of the Earth. I caught myself with my hands reaching out to do so, but I tucked them behind my back — luckily he can't see me.

I forced myself to keep crawling up, ignoring any malicious thought that crossed my mind. It was funny how someone's life could be taken away in a matter of seconds. Just a quick slash across the throat would take the light from their eyes.

They'll never expect it. A soft voice said the same one that I heard earlier.

I shook my head and crawled out onto the ruins that were once a flower maze. I hauled Ransom up but then froze.

"Do you hear that?" Ransom asked,

"Hear what?" I lied. Stop lying Maisy! But I couldn't help myself, "There nothing to hear."

But a buzzing sound got louder and louder until several ladders fell from the sky as all the other tributes emerged.

"Please step onto the ladder and hold on tight. We're going on a field trip." The voice echoed through the arena. It was cold and emotionless, empty of any emotion.

"Go on, I dare you." Someone taunted.

"Shut up, Ransom!" I growled, but I remember someone else saying the same words.

"I didn't say anything," he argued, "Now what are these damn ladders they talked about." He stumbled around blindly — literally — until he crashed into it. I took hold of my own ladder and found myself frozen in place.

There would be no jumping to escape this, but once I reached the hovercraft — I tried.

I don't know if I ever made the jump. Because the world just went black and I could still hear that same haunting voice saying 'I dare you.'

**

I woke up with a pounding in my head, as well as foggy vision. The only thing was for certain was that the room was white with a mirror wall — no windows or anything.  

As the throbbing in my body fades, I realise that I'm not the only person in the room. I sat up quickly and scrambled backwards.

"Dad?" I breathed, unsure of whether he was real or just another hallucination. The Capitol always liked to keep me in the dark — I would always question anything that happened to me, Games or no Games.