Misfortune: Task 3 (Aaron Cooper) D10

** Task - Hidden Muttations **

I saw Tessa through the trees. Her head moving slowly from side to side, scanning for any dangers. Zane's brother has obviously made sure that it is safe. I made eye contact with her, I turned away first. Her deep brown eyes were too curious. I didn't want her to see what I thought. People hanging up by their necks.... I ran on, weaving through the trees quietly. I was going to cut Zane's feet off if he couldn't be quiet. I stopped for a moment, outside their camp. I took a deep breath.

"Hi," I stepped out into the clearing. She jumped a little and then turned around to face me and Zane.
"Hi Aaron," she smiled at me. The same smile I saw in the training centre. She woke Zane's brother, I can't seem to remember his name.
"Do you want to be our friends?" she asked. I smiled but immediately wiped my face of emotion. Damn it Aaron! No smiling. Don't be soft.
"I guess," I shrugged, try to be cool. I hope she didn't notice my smile.
"Niles?" Zane said behind me. A canon boomed. I glanced behind me to make sure he was still there, and alive. Niles went off with Zane, after making sure Tessa would be fine with me. I guess to sort out 'brotherly duties'. I should do that with Tessa. My 'sisterly duties' but she doesn't know yet.
"So what did you want?" she asked. She sat down on the snow. I pictured her standing up and leaving the skin off her bum, hehe. What a joke....
"Well," I said, snapping out of my thoughts, "you know how I asked you if you remembered me?" I sat down,
"Yeah, and I thought you were a creep," she was playing with the snow in her hands, I think it was unintentional,
"Okay, I'll just say it," this is going to sound stupid, "I think - no, I am - your brother, half brother," I noticed that I was playing with the snow myself and pulled my hands up a little. Stupid! Stupid! I could hang myself by my neck then get Zane to gouge out my eye balls and shove them into my mouth. Stupid Aaron! Now you've scared the only person that you love in here. Had I just said love? This was ridiculous.
"Tessa, are you okay," I reached out for her but she pulled herself away from me. I felt as if someone had stabbed me in the heart. So no eye balls, hanging by the neck and someone stabbing my heart.
"I'm fine," she muttered, and looked up to me. Before I knew it, she hugged me. I froze at first, then slowly hugged her back. So this is what it feels like to care. I've never felt this way before. It's like a new chapter in my life. That's if I ever make it out... Niles and Zane came back. They were brothers. We were brother and sister. An alliance that couldn't be torn apart. Actually that's lying. Death would tear us apart.
"Look, a parachute," Tessa beamed,
"Tessa, the Careers aren't far away," Niles hissed at her. I felt like pucnhing in his face, then and there. But I didn't want to lose Tessa's trust. Why can't girls be simple? I watched as she ripped open the parachute. Then screams. People were screaming. Tessa fell to the ground, dropping the gift, and covered her ears. The screaming stopped suddenly.
"Tessa! It's fine now, the screaming's gone," Niles said, he had her hands behind her back,
"I don't want to be here. I don't want to die," she cried as tears streamed down her face,
"Shhh," I said, "You'll make it out. I promise," I would keep that promise. I had to.
"But I don't want to leave any of you. I want us to stay together. Always," she wiped a tear away, then jumped on me. I hugged her. Rubbing her back softly.
"Must have been the Careers screams," Niles said,
"Maybe they died," Zane said, sounding jittery. Tessa got off me and grabbed the gift,
"What's that?" I asked
"How should I know?!" she growled, talk about mood swings... "Maybe we should throw it at someone," I almost laughed at her suggestion. That would be fun. If it was a bomb then the person blew into pieces and blood and guts rained from the sky.
"No." Niles said, "That'd be dangerous" We watched as Tessa picked up the small silver ball, her hands were delicate and small. She screamed. She didn't stop screaming. We jumped away from her and she ran around in circles.
"Get it off!" she shouted and cried, "Get it off!" she was crying again, "Help! She fell onto the powdery snow, in a fit of laughter.
"WHat the hell is wrong with her?" I went to her but she was thrashing around violently," What do we do?"
"How the fuck would I know?" Niles shouted at me. I was restraining myself by not killing him. I punched him in the gut,
"Don't yell at me!" I shouted. This is getting no where. I calmed myself down. The District 2 boy stood in front of us.
"Tessa! Tessa! Run!" Niles shouted, Tessa started crawling but fell quickly. I did the only thing I could, I tackled the Career to the ground.  I saw another Career heading for Tessa but I had to get rid of him first. I noticed my butcher knife in his hand. I thought the girl had it... oh well. I picked it up and picture him in my head. First, I drew a line up on his face with the tip of the blade. Blood squeezed out of the cut. He punched me off him and I rolled, cutting myself a little with the knife. I did a tarzan yell and jumped on him, not caring about not torturing him, I could hang him later when he was dead. He punched me again, I fell back. He had worse cuts than me. I threw the knife into the trees, he could die trying to get it. I clawed my way over to Tessa. She was convulsing, like a demon had taken over her body. A canon boomed. I hope it was the boy from 2. Niles came around from behind. 
"Is she alright?" he asked, he sounded worried. I calmed myself before answering him,
"Does it look like it?" 
"It was a stupid question," he mumbled walking off. A howl made us both freeze. 
"Must be wolves," I shrugged. Tessa screamed at the sound. It was only wolves, we could take care of them. I wandered off in search of my butcher knife. My weapon. If I had it in my hands I could torture anyone I wanted. I could carve a smiley face into District 2's butt face. The knife lay in the snow, a deep imprint next to it. Shame that boy wasn't here. He must have been taken by a craft, though I don't remember hearing it. Blood painted the snow red. I draw a word with my finger, the red stood out easily. Death. That's what I wrote. I know, I'm not sentimental but the only way to survive and to live, is to find something worth dying for. I picked up the knife. Warmth and safety spread through my body. It was as if it were pulsing in my hand, like a second heart to me. I walked back to the clearing with stupid grin on my face. I almost dropped my knife at the sight I was seeing. Tessa strangling Niles. I knew it was too quiet. Zane was running around hysterically.
"Aaron. She's turned into.." he stammered,
"A crazed psychopath. I figured," I shrugged quickly and ran to help Niles. His face was slowly turning purple. Tessa's veins were standing out, a bright red. I tucked the knife into my sheath and pressed the pressure point on Tessa's neck. She jerked suddenly, releasing her grip for a few moments. I took the chance and ripped her away from him. Niles fell, gasping like a fish out of water. Tessa smashed into me, then I saw the mutts.
"Mutts!" I shouted, for Zane and Niles. But it also distracted Tessa too. I put her into a headlock. She bit my leg so I moved her head up.
"Niles, get your bum from the ground and move," I shouted, "Zane! Help him," Why should I care about them? They dumb nuts sometimes. 
"Tessa, if you can hear me, I want you to run. Away from the wolves - " wolves was the trigger word. She screamed like last time and broke out of my lock. I fell to the ground. The wolves went on the attack. They jumped into the clearing, seven of them. They had huge eyes and there body's were smaller than normal. I cursed and ran to Niles. Tessa could take care of herself. I yanked Niles to his feet and dragged him away.
"Zane, take him somewhere safe. I'm going to hold them off," I ordered. I plonked Niles into Zane's arms. Not a good idea to put a seventeen year old onto a fifteen year old. I shrugged off the thought and went to the wolves. I shouldn't have been heroic. I wished that I had just been myself and taken care of just me. But the Games have changed me. I pulled out my knife and quickly got my rope from my pack. One lunged at me and I slashed it across it's stomach, blood spattered my chest. I used the rope as a whip, like you do with cattle back in 10, just to scare them off a little. Another jumped on me and I slashed it too. Two down, five to go. There was one larger one. I thought it was a human. In fact, it was. But what scared me was that it was like a tribute I had seen. One that I saw last night, alive. What the hell did the Capitol do?
"So that confirms it," I spoke my thoughts out loud, "The Capitol is officially crazy, like my stylist. A freaking seed as a brain," The human one lunged at me. I rolled myself to the side and got back up quickly just in time to stab another mini wolf. I aimed carefully and quickly and flicked my wrist. A canon boomed as the human wolf fell to the ground. Another tribute gone. If it was a tribute. For a moment, I wondered where the other four wolves were. I saw them clawing at Tessa, her mouth open in a silent scream. I started running but she took off. I ran after her. The wolves howl's filled my ears, Tessa was laughing. I had my suspicions that she was insane. I gong went off in the arena. The wolves yipping died away. Maybe it was a call for them. I saw Tessa in a smaller clearing. She lay in the centre, her body was scratched. Her arm was red with blood. I didn't see the tree root until I tripped over it. Blood seeped through my forgotton cuts. I saw her sit up suddenly then lay back down. Black dotted my vision. I did get hit in the head a few times. My eye lids drooped. I groaned and saw Tessa looks at me, just before I drifted into the darkness. Earlier I was thinking how you had to find something to die for. I think I have found that thing. The thing that I want to die for, the person that I would face death for, is Tessa.