Misfortune: Task 4 (Tessa Whitlens) D7

** Task - Dead Man Floating **

I crawled over to Aaron, I could now see his chest moving. He sat up slowly, just as slowly as I crawled to him.

"Tessa!" his eyes lit up and he burst into a coughing fit.
"The blood," I pointed to his chest,
"Nothing, just some mutt blood. I think Zane has a few bandages that will help us. Let's go back," he said. He stood up, swaying a little, then reached down to me. I took his hand and let him lead me back,
"What happened?" I asked,
"You went mad, that's what," 
"Aaron," I whined,
"Nothing important. Just that there is 8 of us left, including the 4 of us. That's all you need to know," he said angrily. Why was he so grumpy? Just like Niles. I didn't want to make Aaron even angrier though, I had seen what he could do. Especially to someone my size. I shivered at the thought. We weaved through the trees, I didn't know how Aaron knew where he was going, but then I noticed the blood. We were following blood back to our camp. Blood. I didn't know whose blood but it was there.
"Who died?" I asked quietly,
"I killed the boy from 2 and I think Niles got the girl from 3. She was with the careers. I don't know who killed the girl who I saved you from in the bloodbath,"
"I think I did," I whispered. I killed another person, "Is there such thing as Hell?" I asked,
"Probably," he shrugged. I could see our clearing, "Why?"
"I think I'm going to Hell then," I said,
"Well, I'll see you down there," he almost laughed. Aaron almost laughed. I made him. I smiled to myself. Forget about the girl you didn't know, Aaron almost laughed. I hadn't heard him laugh before. We stepped into the clearing. Niles sat on the snowy ground, wrapping his leg in a bandage. Zane was kneeling down, using snow to clean his face. It was red beneath him. 
"We need bandages," Aaron said, walking to Niles and searching for some. He held up two and I held my arm out and let him wash it with some water from his own pack. He dabbed my arm gently, I had to bite my lip because I didn't want to scream. It was hurting so much but I wanted to be tough. Not a sissy little baby. He wrapped my arm up and tucked in the end bit. Then he started on himself. He washed a lot of cuts on his arms, one bad one, and a few on his legs. He only had to bandage his arm up, since the other cuts must have been okay. But it looked like it was hurting. I looked around. Niles had his head in his hands, Aaron was focused on squeezing blood out of his arm - yucky - and Zane was... no where.
"Guys," I waited for them to look up, "Where is Zane?"
Niles cursed under his breath, "Let's go looking for him. No canons yet," he jumped up and packed all his things, "Quick!" he growled. Back to him grumpy self already. Aaron packed his things and I still had mine on my back so we looked for some tracks. Too easy to find, if you asked me. It was like a giant had made a mess. Niles was leading us, with me in the middle and Aaron following behind. He had a knife in his hand. It was huge, gleaming with silver. I was too busy looking behind my shoulder, so I bumped into Niles.
"Sorry," I said, looking at my feet.
"Just watch it, okay?" he hissed. I took a deep breath, don't get upset Tessa. I peered around Niles and gasped. A big cave mouth went into the mountain. Zane must have went in there.
"We have to go look for him," I walked around Niles but he held me back. 
"I'll go," he said,
"No. We will go together," I ordered. His eyes went wide - in surprise - but then he just nodded and I followed him into the darkness. I immediately grabbed onto Niles with one hand and Aaron with the other. I could barely see Niles in front of me, but I knew he was close. 
"Ouch!" I cried as I ran into a rock that jut out. It was my sore arm. My voice echoed through the cave.
"Tessa. You alright?" Aaron whispered, his breath against my ear.
"Uh huh," I mumbled. I blinked away my tears. Nile led us through, I could see a dim light up ahead. We got closer and closer, I didn't realise I was holding my breath. I let it out, we walked into the light. A big coffin - much fancier than the one we put Mum in - lay in the center of the room. Candles hung and sat in gap in the walls and roof. It was like a worshiping place. Weapons covered parts of the walls, I spied the slingshot first. A weapon specially for me. There was an axe too. I ran and grabbed the slingshot. There were some funny looking darts and bottles of liquid in a small bag. Niles grabbed the axe. Zane was wiping the coffin with his shirt. I had no idea why. I don't even think he noticed us.
"Zane?" Aaron called. Zane jumped and hit his head, "What are you doing here?"
"I thought I heard a voice and then everything was so dirty in here, I had to tidy it up," he rubbed the coffin frantically, suddenly half the candles went out. The room just had a really scary glow. I ran and hid behind Aaron.
"Maybe we should get out of here," my voice was shaky. A huge booming laugh came from the coffin. I screamed but Aaron covered my mouth. Zane just fainted. I gripped my slingshot tighter.
"Hello tributes!" a disgusting looking man rose from the coffin. I felt Aaron catch me, I think I fainted, "I am Whytt Inchcape. Past tribute, victor and gamemaker. I thank you for awakening me." I just knew my hands were shaking, or my whole body. I move further behind Aaron. Niles held Zane next to us.
"Don't be so scared!" he said loudly, "I am here to help, you see. I'm going to kill your Gamemaker." Zane's eyes opened. His eyes went round as apples. He screamed and ran.
"Kill!" Whytt shouted, chasing after him. Both the boy's said curses. We chased after them. I held onto Aaron's hand again. We ran blindly through the cave. We burst into the light. Zane was curled into a ball with slashes on his legs, the snow - once again - was stained red. I thought I was going to be sick with the sight. Niles rushed to him, bandages in hand. He used the snow to clean the slashes and quickly bandaged his leg. An arrow came out of no where. Niles pulled Zane into cover, it had only just missed him. Aaron pushed me behind the rock. He started forward but I grabbed his hand.
"Don't go," I begged,
"I won't be too long, besides all the Careers are dead. I'll be fine," he said. He broke out of my grip easily and jumped up the cliff face. I couldn't hear him. I heard a shout. A boy's shout. It suddenly went silent. No more shouting. Aaron made me jump when he landed on the snow in front of me. He had a bow and some arrows in his hand, along with his huge knife.
"Zane, Merry Christmas. Now you don't look like a morphine addict, just a little boy with a weapon," he threw the weapons at Zane's feet,
"Don't be mean Aaron," I glared at him,
"I can do what I want Tess, now let's get as far away from here as possible before that zombie comes for us," he said. It was in a mean tone. I didn't like it. There weren't many of us now. We had to stick together, Aaron was breaking us apart. I glanced at Niles and he just nodded. I jumped up and followed Aaron. 
"Aaron, can you please stop," I asked, "We all have to be nice. Please just be nice for a day. I mean, we both know what's going to happen. One of us will make it out, and I want it to be me or you. So just be nice so we can see what's going to happen," I whispered as if someone were listening. I knew Aaron wasn't stupid, he would see this too. As much as I love Niles and Zane, Aaron and I are a sibling team and one of us has to make it out.
"Okay. But don't tell them this. I didn't know you were so smart, Tess," he ruffled my messy hair. I smiled and gave him a hug. He called me Tess. People only call me Tess if they know me well. I ran back to Niles and Zane and told them to come. They followed on, Niles had Zanes arm over his shoulder. I caught up to Aaron and we led the way. The Cornocopia should be safe. Creepy dude - Whytt - has to like us. We didn't hurt him. A spark shot up into the sky. I froze but got tugged along by Aaron. The spark burst into sparkles. I think we just let a crazy man - crazy dead man - on the loose.