Prologue.

Jane walked towards the new restaurant in the city. A guest was leaving; he was holding the door open for Jane. She politely thanked him and entered the place. There were many excellent reviews on the new restaurant; it was worth a try. Jane looked at herself in the window, which reflected like a mirror. She was wearing a new dress, she was feeling beautiful and couldn't wait to show it to her boyfriend. It had been a long day at the university; Jane was glad she had some time off.

"Good evening, how can I help you?" The waitress plastered a smile on her face.

"Hi," Jane said and gave the waitress a genuine smile. "My boyfriend is waiting for me. He is already here, if I'm correct."

The waitress nodded. "Do you know the reservation name? It makes it easier to bring you to the table."

"Yes, of course. Let me look it up," Jane replied and opened her purse. She grabbed her phone and looked up the note.

"You look beautiful, the dress fits you well," the waitress complimented. "Date night?"

Jane looked up and shyly smiled. "Oh, thank you," she said. "Yes, it is." She was scrolling through the WhatsApp chat of her boyfriend, but she couldn't find the reservation name. "I can't find the reservation name, but I believe it is Jane at 19:30," she said doubtfully.

The waitress nodded and looked through the reservations. "We have a reservation at 19:30 on the name Jane, but nobody is checked in yet..."

"Ow." Jane swallowed hard and checked the last message she got from her boyfriend. It said 'reservation at 19:30'. "I believe he is late, I will wait. Thank you."

"I can walk you to your table? You can wait for him there."

"If that's possible," Jane weakly smiled. The disappointment was flowing through her body. He had one job, just one job, and he couldn't do it.

"Absolutely, follow me, please."

Jane followed the waitress to the table and ordered a glass of red wine. She looked around, everybody was enjoying their dinner and having a good time. Jane bit on the inside of her cheek and looked at the time: 19:45. Her boyfriend would go to the restaurant straight after work, so he asked if Jane could go to the restaurant herself so they would meet up there. It made Jane impatient, and frustrated. She grabbed her phone and texted her boyfriend.

-

Jane
Hi, where are you? I'm waiting for you at the new restaurant xx

-

She looked at it; it sent, and it was delivered. That was it, nothing more. Jane threw her phone on the table and took a big sip of the wine. Her eyes were plastered on the entrance, hoping her boyfriend would show up. Every time the door opened, a sparkle of hope went through her body, but twice as much disappointment came back when it wasn't her boyfriend.

Forty-five minutes later, he still didn't show up. Jane looked around while finishing drinking a glass of water. She made eye contact with a few guests, who arrived at the same time as her. A few of them had apologising looks on their faces, others felt sorry for her. She pressed her lips into a thin line and looked away. How can someone make you feel so miserable?

After a few more minutes, more people started to notice Jane. She was sitting there by herself, and she was waiting, but it didn't look good. The same waitress who guided her to the table, walked passed her.

"Hey," the waitress said, surprised. "He still hasn't arrived?"

"No," Jane said and plastered a fake smile on her face. "He is on his way, there was a crisis at work," she lied.