Fourtyseven.

Luna checked the letterbox when she was standing in the main hall. Just a final check of this year, even though she and Jane never get any letters. Luna would go to her parents for Christmas and to Robert in Russia after that.

"Jane, you've got a letter," Luna said and looked at Jane, who was walking down the stairs. "It's good that I checked the letterbox before leaving."

When Jane got downstairs, she let her bag drop on the ground and sat down on one of the steps. "A letter?" She stuck out her arm and took a deep breath. "Let me see it," she breathed and tried to catch some breath. Luna gave the envelope to Jane. "Gosh, being sick is horrible."

"You're just crazy for flying to New Zealand while you have the flu," Luna shared. "I know you've waited for this and know how exciting it is, but you're sick. I don't think this is a good idea."

One week later and Jane was still sick. She was feeling better, and the fever dropped back to the average temperature, but she still wasn't feeling completely recovered. She dared to go, hoping it wouldn't worsen during the flight.

Jane ignored Luna; she was right, but... I'm not that sick anymore. She opened the envelope and pulled out a card. It was a birthday card. "Awh," she hummed and opened it. A birthday message was written on it. "It's from Fede and Francy, and of course Emma and Giuseppe."

"Sweet," Luna smiled. Jane handed over the card. "'Buon compleanno, Jane! It's early and not your birthday yet, so cheers on celebrating your (early) birthday. Enjoy your trip to New Zealand, we hope you're feeling better now. Happy birthday, merry Christmas and happy new year!' Bro, this is sweet."

"It is. I will send a thank you message, and then off we go," Jane mentioned and coughed a few times.

"Take your time. I will start the car." Luna took Jane's suitcase with her to the car. A month ago, Luna got her driver's license and was happily driving around on her own now. Including being everyone's taxi - a job Jane had before. Luna put the suitcase in the truck and stepped behind the steering wheel to start the engine. "Ready?"

"Yep." Jane stepped in next to her, closed the passenger door and fastened her seatbelt.

"Nervous?"

"A little bit. I've never travelled this far, never even went outside of Europe. And I hope I won't get kicked off the flight."

Luna drove away. "No, you won't get kicked off. Nobody will know you're still recovering if you don't know it. Eat some vitamins before you board and during the flight, and keep drinking water. And just smile and wave. Where are your layovers?"

"Singapore and Sydney. Twelve-hour flight to Singapore, six-hour layover, eight hours to Sydney, two-hour layover and then three hours to Christchurch."

"Holy moly, it sounds like a living hell."

"I'm so not looking forward to it. 31 hours of travelling. But I get to see Marcus and visit New Zealand," Jane replied. "Compromising."

"Good luck, I'm thinking of you." Luna entered the motorway. "You have to vlog, I want to see your adventures in the air. You're flying with Singapore Airlines and Qantas, right?"

"Yep." Jane chuckled. "I will try. Economy class, don't think you will get the most amazing vlogs."

"And update me when you have your layovers."

"Yes, mum."

"No, for real, Jane. You're still not 100 per cent better, and I can't keep an eye on you, so be clear with your updates."

After an hour, Luna stopped the car at the kiss and ride section at the Milan Malpensa Airport. It was busy, but more like the typical busy.

"Have a safe trip, girlie," Luna smiled.