Chapter One - It's The Life

Rushing through the house I throw on my work shirt and pants then hop halfway down the hallway while trying to put my shoes on. I check the time on my phone, it's 8:15 in the morning and I have to be at work in fifteen minutes.

'What nineteen year old doesn't sleep in on a Saturday' I sarcastically say to my pet dog Toby. He just looks up at me and doesn't respond. Go figure he is a dog. I look into the mirror to check myself out. My hair is light blonde and straight, I normally just spike my hair up with gel, but today I am thinking of leaving it flat and plain. My brown eyes seem so much darker this morning although it might just be because I have just woken up 2 minutes ago that everything looks extremely darker than usual. I constantly think about how fit I have been looking the last couple of weeks, I am rather slim normally but it seems that jogging every night really is starting to pay off for me. I am going to be late, and this early in the morning as much as I should care I really don't.

'Tyler Peeters!' I hear my mum screaming from her bedroom.

Yes mum I know what my name is I think as continue to rush through the house and eventually make my way to her bedroom.

'Yes Miranda' I respond as I put on a fake Irish accent. I have always said my mothers name with an Irish accent since the 7th grade. The teacher of my class was Irish with a really strong accent and back then I thought it was hilarious the way she said it, so ever since then I have tried to mirror the accent and it has just stuck. My mother tries to always look her best, its like she was ripped out of one of those real housewife's of Orange County, New York or any of the other twelve seasons of the same TV show they have. She is wearing a short black dress and has put blonde extensions in her already bleached blonde hair, accompanied with silver accessories galore. My mother has put on tall six-inch silvery stilettos, which make her look like a giant. This I will try my hardest not to comment on. All in all I think my mother has a good sense of dress style and so does just about everybody else, or at least she thinks so.

'I need you to pick something up from your fathers workshop after work' she looks exhausted, guess she couldn't handle a movie marathon on a Friday night followed by breakfast with some of her girlfriends from high school. 'I know you have to study for your history exam after work, but this is really important'

'Sure thing Miranda, just as long as I get something out of it' I always joke with mum trying to scab something or at least some money.

She smirks as I rush out her bedroom door to the bathroom.

After finally getting ready for work I push through the crowds of people to get to the staff entry. I work at a discount store as a part-time job because I am still studying but unlike a lot of my other friends who don't work, my parents forced me to get a job as soon as I was fifteen. Today just happens to be the biggest sale of the year I never thought that this many people would actually show up. I am lucky to work in the home entertainment section of the store, this way I don't slave away as cheap labor on the checkouts like a lot of the 15 year olds that work here. I clock in and walk up to my counter. I can see in the distance my co-worker and friend Jacinta. She does not look impressed with my lack of being on time. As I walk up to Jacinta I can see she is getting angry. I can basically see the fire in her pearl black eyes. Jacinta has always been one the prettiest girls I have ever seen and looks extremely hot when mad, She is quite short and has long black hair with a very slim and fit body shape.

'Nice to see you actually showed up' Jacinta snaps with a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

'Sorry my alarm didn't go off and it was cold and'

'Excuses excuses' she cuts me off. I can see the angry in her eyes. But this happens every time I am late. This only lasts about ten minutes and then we are back to a normal friendship. We discuss the specials and the amount of people that are lining up outside to save as little as one dollar on some products. Some people in the area I live are quite scummy; always looking for cheaper stuff, free stuff or products that can easily steal.

The day goes by super quick. We observe all the different people that come through the doors and we instantly judge them and pick out there sterotypes.

She's a single white mother with 4 kids. He's a drug addict who's looking to steal to pay off his dealers. Are among the many things that I think as I see people come and go.

'Only ten more minutes to go...' Jacinta sighs.

'I know I can't wait its been a super long day and I really just wanna relax before heading out tonight' I say ecstatically

'Oh yeah, where are ya going?'

'Just a kind of party for my friend Dean'

Dean is one of my best friends, very confident and very wise. When push comes to shove Dean is the one we all go too.

'Sounds nice where was my invite?' Jacinta giggles.

'Must of got lost in the mail or something? I hope Saxon actually shows up on time tonight, we are always late' I say with exhaustion in my voice.

Saxon is one of my best friends. He is truly the definition of the world hilarious. Everything that comes out of his mouth is either really intelligent or funny, or really dumb and also makes anyone listening crack up with laughter.

Jacinta and I exchange goodbyes with everyone at work, followed by fare welling each other until next Saturday. I walk down the path towards my car, it is such a nice day out although it is five at night it still feels and looks like its lunchtime, this is always an added bonus for myself because between study, work and friends It's usually outdoor activities I find myself involved with.

Once I have made it to my car my phone continues to ring off and off. It's just Miranda always making sure I remember that I promised to race past my fathers work to pick something up. I'm not entirely sure what it is but I shrug it off, turn my car on and begin to drive to my father's workplace.

On the drive I listen to a mixed CD I made for all the different emotions I go through. Usually my CD helps my mood change from sad to happy, or from angry to placid.

I arrive at my destination 'dads work'. I've never truly been a fan of my father but you can pick your friends but not your family. That is what I tell myself daily. When it comes to my father I never actually take him seriously and just shrug him off most of the time, I do that or I'm just sarcastic to him constantly. Truth be told my father has never been there for my sister or I, So I feel that I will respect him enough but not give him too much respect because then he would feel that he has power and control over us, this I promise myself I would never let happen. My father who I always refer to him by his name Charlie is a businessman for a small business that deals with making and selling furniture. I wouldn't say it's a high-class job but he is on quite good money. Enough to support my mother's high-class society look she seems to always be able to pull off.

I walk up the stairs to the office of his work. I try to push the door open. It's locked. I look down at my phone the time is well after close time, so I just assume that maybe he has gone home and taken what mother has needed with him. I start to walk down the steps and I hear a crashing noise coming from inside the office. I jump and turn around and race back up the stairs. I try to look through the windows of the office main door and I can't see anything. I decide to walk around the side of the office to see if I could get a look at what happened inside from a different angle of the office. The side of the office building is dark and dirty, full of garbage and spider webs. Spiders freak me out just a little, but for once in my life I suck it up and press on through the side of the office. I manage to unlock the side gate and continue through.

I come down to the back of the office I take a peep into the back window.

My mouth completely drops when I see what I have just seen.