Chapter Twenty-Eight - Freedom

Photographs all over the floor and the bed. All the furniture in their room is smashed beyond belief. We both hear crying coming from the bathroom in their bedroom.

“Mum?” Riya yells.

No response.

“Mum are you in here?” I ask.

No response again. We start to worry. I walk to the bathroom door and try to open it; it’s locked. I start knocking on the door. Still no response.

“We are going to have to break open the door” I say to Riya.

“Agreed” Riya replies.

“On the count of three” I say.

We steady outselves and push our shoulders on the door.

“One two three” I say.

We both smash are shoulders into the door opening it, both of us fall on the floor when we are inside. I stand up instantly and see mum crying on the floor. Unharmed hopefully. I rush to her and Riya is right behind me.

“What happened?” I ask.

“Mum talk to us” Riya says.

Miranda is crying with her head in her hands. Riya starts to shake her to get her to stop and look up. Still nothing. I have no idea what to do. I have no idea what happened in the house.

“What did Charlie do mum?” Riya asks.

We wait a little bit but still mum hasn’t told us anything. I decide it’s about time we call the police.

“I am going to call the police” I say.

“No” Miranda snaps.

“Why?” I ask.

Mum doesn’t say anything else, but from the way she said no I think I should trust her. I want to know exactly what happened here.

“Hello?” I hear coming from the front door.

I stand up and head down the corridor towards the front door. It’s Jacinta and Dean and they look worried as all hell.

“What the hell happened here?” Dean asks.

“No entirely sure to be honest, but mum is home crying and Charlie isn’t here thank god,” I say.

“As long as your mum is okay,” Jacinta says.

“The whole house is trashed though,” I say.

“Did you call the police?” Dean asks.

“I went to but mum told me not too, that is the only thing she has said since we got home,” I say.

We all walk into the living room and sit down on the couch.

“I am so sorry for ruining your night and making you come here,” I say.