Chapter Two - Unexpected Secrets

My father is kissing another woman. This woman isn’t my mother. My heart begins to pound extremely fast and loud. Loud enough that I think that even both my father and that woman he is with would be able to hear it. My whole body begins to ache and sweat is dripping down from my forehead. I begin to cry. All these thoughts run through my head. The last thought that I am left with is why? Why would he do this? Why would he want to hurt my mother? Why would he do this to my sister and I? I start to step back slowly. I loose my footing and fall onto my back. The sound of my body hitting a trashcan, followed by the floor pierces through the air. I hear mumbling from inside. I look up and see my father standing in the office backdoor. He looks terrified. His brown eyes stare down into my soul I can feel it. He has a cap flipped backwards on his head, this is obviously to cover his grey hairs, he is wearing a white business shirt, which is half unbuttoned and black business pants. I never recalled him putting on so much weight, but in the last few months he has as well as he has aged about 10 years from the shock of seeing me at the office catching him out.

‘Wha.. what are you doing here Tyler?’ his voice extremely shaken.

‘How could you, who is she, what are you doing?’ I scream at him.

I look over behind him in the office is his lady friend, she has tears in her eyes as if she knows she has done wrong. Her long blonde hair is in a ponytail and she looks quite pretty. If it weren’t for her seeing a married man I would think that she was a nice person. I look back at him. I stare dead into his eyes.

‘You don’t understand.. I just’

‘You just what, decided to sleep with another woman when you have one you are clearly married to at home’ I cut him off ‘The same woman you said I do to 23 years ago?’ Tears pour down my face as I realize that the man standing in front of me is nothing more than a gutless excuse of a parent.

‘Please don’t tell your mother, for our family’ He begs.

I turn my back to him. Take a deep breath.

‘Why should I do that?’ I question.

‘Your mother and I have had our troubles I want to work through them’ He gulps

‘I want to work through them, this was the last time I was going to see Debbie’

Debbie the name runs through my head. I have no idea why he would want to see someone else while still married. Although they both fight but realistically what couple doesn’t fight I continue to think. I look into his eyes again, I see a man who is looking for sympathy. I have always been a person with a forgiving heart, which is a trait that I thankfully got from my mother. Sometimes I do believe that it actually will be the biggest downfall I will continue to face throughout my life. I take one more look at the lady inside who is now referred to as Debbie. I close my eyes one more time take a deep breath.

‘Ok Charlie I will not tell mum just as long as you promise to never see Debbie or any other woman again, as well as you promise to work on the relationship’ I say.

I’ve never truly had a proper relationship so I would entirely know what sacrifices have to be made and what you have to do for someone else. The only relationship I can remember was in primary school. That lasted all of a couple of hours, I guess dated at the age of 10 isn’t really a proper relationship.

‘I promise, thank you Tyler I will show you that I can be a good man once again’ He says as he smiles at me ‘This is the first and the last time this has ever happened I promise’

I fake a smile back at him. He says that this was the first and last time, from the look in his eyes I believe him. I turn my back and begin to walk down the side of the office to my car. I wipe the tears from my eyes and continue to tell myself that everything will be fine and that I can keep this from everyone for the better. I remember that I forgot the package and race back inside to grab it for Miranda.