Ch. 56: Focus

Elvis had an on-and-off desire to tour and please his fans. However, his health ordeal was affecting his personality during performances. Fans would be upset for the unusually long breaks Elvis would take to tend to his needs. Colonel Tom Parker would get upset with Elvis displeasing his fans, but somehow would reschedule concert dates towards the end of the tour to please fans once again.

Vernon was being smart when he kept bugging Elvis to sign his will. Vernon was worried Elvis was going to die sooner or later. It was a harsh reality, but many who knew Elvis' dilemma thought so too. It was truly sad. I too was losing hope for Elvis.

During a visit to Memphis in April of '77, Joe Esposito and I had a private conversation at the hospital concerning Elvis' health and his relationship with Ginger.

Joe: "Elvis is going downhill. Everyone is concerned."

Lillian: "No one is doing anything about it and Elvis doesn't think he'll ever die. Have you guys kept count how many hospital visits Elvis has made since 1974? This hospital episode has to be his 40th visit."

Joe: "We're trying to do our best to help Elvis."

Lillian: "It's not enough. It will never be enough. I know you mean well, Joe. But it will have to take a miracle from God to save Elvis."

Joe let out a huge sigh. He was frustrated, emotional, and helpless.

Joe: "Ginger is another problem. Elvis is trying so hard to satisfy her. He's really trying so damn hard but because of her young age, she wants more. She wants to live her life, go out to night clubs, and plow through money."

Lillian: "Do you think she's using Elvis for his money? Money he usually spends unwisely?"

Joe: "I don't know. I'm afraid so."

Lillian: "Just let Elvis be happy. If Ginger makes him happy, let him be."

Joe and I peered in the hospital room where Elvis was relaxing. Apparently, he was suffering from exhaustion. I wasn't surprised. The thing that made me upset was that Ginger only visited him once, and it lasted ten minutes. Ten minutes! At least she visited him.

A couple of days later, Priscilla and Lisa flew in from Los Angeles. They were concerned with Elvis' latest hospital check-in.

I hugged Priscilla and then Lisa. Lisa was a ray of sunshine, and made everyone feel happy wherever she went. Priscilla told Lisa to play dolls with Samantha in the waiting room.

Priscilla: "It's so good to see you here. I'm glad you flew in. How is he?"

Lillian: "He's feeling better. Joe said he's having one of those hospital episodes."

Priscilla: "Every time I am told that he's been sent to the hospital, it worries me so much. Lisa is very positive and makes me worry less about the situation, but I know she worries about her dad. It keeps her up at night. I want my daughter to have a father when she grows up."

Lillian: "Life without Elvis would be different. But the thing is, Elvis is here now and that's all that matters."

Priscilla and Lisa spent 3-4 hours with Elvis while I watched from the hospital hallway. At that very moment, I wish Elvis and Priscilla were still married. Elvis' life would probably be stable, he would of been in better health, and Lisa Marie would probably have a sibling or two. The sad thing about coming back to reality is knowing that things you hope to happen, will never happen.

In May, The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson asked me to be on the show. It would be my 3rd time on the show; my 1st time was in 1970, 2nd time was in 1972. It had been 5 years since I did a real television interview, and Carson
thought it was best to catch up.

I wore a navy blue dress that was slightly above my knees. The long dress sleeves had a wavy retro design and were cuffed at my wrists. I decided to wear my 3-inch light brown heels that were very comfortable. My brown hair was slightly curled, just the way I liked it. I wore my sparkling wedding ring along with a pair of blue sapphire earrings and a necklace give to me by my mother.

Knock, knock.

"Come in."

It was my oldest son, William. He decided to tag along with his mom today. He enjoyed watching interviews and taking a break from football.

Will: "Hi mom. You'll be on in 10 minutes."

Lillian: "Thanks for telling me, Will. If you're hungry, there's food near the end of the hall near the set. Just don't eat all of it!"

Will: "Oh come on, mom. I don't eat that much. Besides, I ate dinner with Brooke."

Lillian: "Brooke needs to visit our house more often and have lunch or dinner. She's your girlfriend and I barely know her."

Will: "Ok mom, will do. 5 minutes left!"

I was feeling a bit nervous. This was my first TV interview in front of a live audience in a while, and I wondered what questions Carson would ask me. Was it possible that he would ask me about Elvis?

The backstage staff directed me to where I would enter to the stage where Carson's desk and seats were set in front of the live audience. I took a little peak behind the curtain, only to see a filled audience laughing because of Carson's jokes.

Johnny Carson then introduced me and the music queued my entrance. The crowd applauded and wooed as I walked out and waved at them. I gave Carson a hug then sat down.

Johnny Carson: "It's nice to see you, Lilly!"

Lillian: "Likewise. Thanks for having me on your show again!"

JC: "It has been what... 5 years since we last saw each other?"

I gave him a head nod. I knew Johnny would ask about my life since we last talked, then slowly ease to a subject that was controversial; Elvis' health.
I quickly came back to reality, just in time to answer Johnny's question.

JC: Tell us what you've been up to for the last 5 years."

Lillian: "Well... I've been acting here and there in movies. I've choreographed many dance routines for Vegas, movies and for dance studios. My husband James and I have been happily married for 17 years and together we have 6 amazing children! William just turned 16, Joshua is 14, Rita is 12, twins Sean and Samantha are almost 10, and our new addition Lucienne is 18 months."

We went on to talk about my family and career, but Johnny questioned about Elvis.

JC: "You have been friends with Elvis Presley since 1955. 22 years! Tell us about your friendship with him."

Lillian: "I'm going to try and tell you our friendship in about 5 minutes. A couple dancers and I met Elvis after his concert in Florida in 1955. Since the girls I was with were shy, Elvis and I hit it off quickly. We've been best friends since. I lived in Memphis for a little while and actually met my husband at Humes High School. The same high school Elvis attended and graduated in 1953. I have grown very close to his family, and was very close to his mother. Like any friendship, we've had our ups and downs. We have disagreed, bickered, and even took a break from one another. But we've always managed to work out most problems. Our families are very close, and I'm grateful for our friendship."

JC: "Many fans or viewers witnessed the undeniable chemistry you two had on-screen. Many people believed you guys got engaged in 1959 when both of you were in Germany. Was there a romance?"

Lillian: "No, there wasn't. From 1956-57, I can definitely say there was a mutual attraction to one another. I liked him for a short amount of time, but I got over that."

JC: "Nowadays, Elvis is still performing. Is he healthy? Many fans, including me, are concerned about his health."

I froze. What do I tell him and the audience? Do I lie? It was becoming obvious that Elvis was wasn't healthy and needed help.

Lillian: "I'm not his doctor or physician, but Elvis has been in good spirits. Like any human being, he has problems and struggles he needs to overcome. He's fine."

The interview ended and I felt relieved and guilty at the same time.