Ch. 52: Downhill

A worn-out Elvis was preparing for his next Vegas engagement. I didn't understand why Colonel Parker kept booking more engagements when Elvis was having his health episodes, but I finally understood his reasoning. Elvis' spending habits! Everyone knew Elvis was a very generous man, but at times he was too generous. Jerry Schilling was very grateful that Elvis bought he and his wife a house, but he thought it wasn't necessary. Jerry also told me about Elvis buying cars for the Memphis Mafia members and some lavishing gifts for their wives as well. 

It was now April of 1975. My sister-in-law Madison attended one of Elvis' concerts with my nieces and came back with a mixed review. The concert experience was fantastic, but she left the concert that night with some uncertainty and questions. 

Madison: "There were some antics that were odd... I don't know if it was staged, but it did leave me and other fans confused. Elvis and the band broke out into a water pistol fight and shortly after that, Colonel Parker was dressed up as Santa." 

Me: "The water fight is something so normal for Elvis and his crew, but Parker dressing up as Santa in April? That seems strange." 

Madison: "The girls were confused as well. Maybe it's a publicity stunt? Anyways, Elvis' appearance has changed since I last saw him. Is he doing okay?" 

Me: "He's hanging in there..." 

When family members, friends, or even fans ask how Elvis is doing I just don't know what else to say other than OK. I believe people can't speak for an individual because they aren't that individual. They don't know their feelings, health or mental state at the moment. 

Elvis' spending skyrocketed out of the roof! First, he bought a jet to go on tour, which I thought was a good idea for he and his entourage. But then, he bought a house for Linda near Graceland. Why though? He and Linda had been dating for a while now and living together, why buy a house? 

The spending became worse, and Colonel Parker gave me a call while wrapping up my latest film involvement for Jaws. Everything was going down the drain. Elvis' hard work, money, and Elvis himself. I couldn't detect if Tom Parker's concern was truly for Elvis or if it was just for Elvis' money. No Elvis meant no more money for the greedy manager. 

Col. Tom Parker: "Lillian, is there any way that you can talk some sense into Elvis? His spending habits are becoming a very serious problem, and so is his personality towards everyone." 

Me: "I'm not his mother, Mr. Parker, and I'm certainly not his manager either. I'm just a close friend. Shouldn't you be in charge with all of his spending and what he's doing while on tour?" 

Col. Tom Parker: "He won't listen to me or his Daddy. Just try to talk to him and maybe he'll listen to you. Doesn't he usually listen to what you say?" 

Me: "He's a grown man. People will make mistakes, and it's their choice to learn from them. It takes time for others. I am worried about Elvis, but I can't do much anymore. So many things have changed since I first met him twenty years ago and I don't know if the Elvis I met then is still the Elvis I'm still friends with now. The best advice or suggestion I can give you is to have Priscilla talk to him." 

I don't know if Colonel ever contacted Priscilla, but things began to die down. My husband decided that he would retire from playing football and finally spend more time with our children. Elvis surprised William on his fourteenth birthday with an electric guitar. Other than playing football, William enjoyed playing the guitar and singing. When Elvis learned about this, he gave William some advice: