Ch. 34: 68' Comeback Special

*'68 Comback Special! Behind the scenes revealed by Lillian

*Thelma and Elizabeth are in this chapter

I wrapped up choreography for the tv special in late-May, and the back-up dancers practice the routines day and night. Elvis and Priscilla were relaxing in Hawaii and attending a karate tournament, while I spent most days with my family. The children were growing up quickly, my oldest being 7 years old, while my youngest were almost a year old. 

William and Joshua were involved with a football club at their school and were currently learning how to play guitar. Rita was now 3 years old and attending dance lessons where I took them at her age. The twins on the other hand, enjoyed listening to all kinds of records at home. 

On June 6th, Elvis, Priscilla, and I were watching the news of the assassination of Senator Robert Kennedy. It was shocking and horrifying to learn that the brother of President John F. Kennedy would be assassinated 5 years after him. The assassinations of Martin Luther King, JFK, and Robert Kennedy affected Steve Binder and Elvis. Binder decides to compose a song for Elvis to sing that is "socially concious". 

Colonel Tom Parker decided to have me help NBC costume designer Bill Belew with costume decisions. One day, he had three outfits that he wanted to suggest to Elvis. The white "preacher" suit, skin-tight black leather suit, and gold lame suit were the outfits he wanted Elvis to wear. We certainly bickered about the choices. 

Bill: "I'm going to suggest these outfits for Elvis. I'm sure he'll approve of them all." 

Me: "I like all of them, but I have a couple of questions... Will the leather suit cause extra heat when Elvis is dancing and all? Elvis is going to feel like it's 90 degrees in the room!" 

Bill: "I'm sure producers can put fans or something to keep him cool. Water and his scarfs perhaps?" 

Me: "I also know that Elvis is not going to wear the whole gold lame suit. It worked out in his younger years, but for a 33-year old to wear it now is just silly." 

Bill: "We'll see what Mr. Presley approves and what not." 

And I was right. Elvis only chose to wear the jacket to the gold lame outfit. Elvis requests it to be bedazzled with sequins, which would hype the look more. 

On June 17th, Elvis began dance, vocal, and dialogue rehearsals for the the TV special. He enjoyed everything, but he would always mess up while doing dialogues. He would stutter and joke about his upper lip and southern accent. 

Elvis spent 1-2 hours with me learning his choreography for his performances. He would mostly wiggle his hips and snap his fingers. He was mostly goofing around, and I got off task as well. 

Elvis: "Come on Lilly, can't we freestyle for a bit?" 

Me: "Ok, for ten minutes we can freestyle and goof around."

Elvis: "You gotta help me improve my waltz skills. Maybe my dancin' skills in general. For the heck of it."

Me: "Elvis, I offered you dance lessons in 12 years ago, and you didn't take them! And four years ago while shooting Viva Las Vegas, Ann and I encouraged to you to dance with us! At least you got out of your comfort zone in that film." 

Elvis: "Especially in a couple scenes. It was worth it ya know." 

Me: "Of course it was."