Chapter 59: The Final Farewell

Looking at myself as if I didn't recognize the image that reflected back at me, I slowly put on my perfume and lipstick. I stepped back from the mirror to look at the woman who was dressed in all black, carrying a blank facial expression in tow. Everything just didn't seem right. Is this what true sadness and loneliness felt like? These unpleasant feelings felt like they were trapped and infecting me with every ounce of negative energy.

Today is my best friend's funeral. Everyone says that it's the time where family and friends can remember Elvis' life and accomplishments. All I saw was a time to grieve and let the fact sink in that Elvis was no longer alive.

James softly knocked on the door to see if I was ready.

"Are you ready to go? Our cars are here."

I slipped my sunglasses on and headed out the door. The children were all dressed in black, and the place was the quietest it had ever been.

My half-siblings were in Memphis to pay their respects to Elvis. Michael was at Graceland the day Elvis passed away and he asked if we wanted to know what happened the days leading up to his death. I was hesitant to listen, but I allowed him to proceed with his report. Elvis had taken a large amount of narcotics the day before and the day of his death. His fiancé, Ginger Alden, made the huge mistake of falling back to sleep while he went to the bathroom. My brother said that if she stayed up and waited for him, Elvis would probably be with us still. My brother was upset at Ginger, but I told him she already had enough to deal with. The doctors said that he was in a rigamortis state for about a couple hours before he was found in the bathroom.

We drove through the gates of Graceland at 6 o'clock in the morning. Fans from all over the world had traveled to Memphis to bid their final farewells to the entertainer they loved dearly. Many female fans were distraught; crying, yelling, and some even fainting.

During the quiet drive to Forrest Hill, I gazed at the ring Elvis had given me 29 years ago. The memory replayed in my head and it made me somewhat smile. Shimmering brightly as the sun's rays hit the diamonds, my ring represented how strong, happy, and true my friendship with Elvis. A tear ran slowly down my cheek.

My family and I arrived at Forrest Hill, which was surrounded by thousands of flowers sent by fans. It was a beautiful sight. I scanned the crowd of attendees and spotted one of Elvis's ex-girlfriends, Linda Thompson, along with her family. She soon spotted me and we quickly embraced. I was amazed to see so many of Elvis's friends who he made throughout the years of his life.

The sight of Elvis's casket made me have goosebumps and my mind went blank. Most of the guys who were part of The Memphis Mafia were carrying the heavy casket, while friends and family followed close behind.

My family and I were walking next to Vernon, who had the saddest look in his eyes. When he saw me, he began to quietly sob.

"Lily, my only son is gone. I'm all alone now. I can't believe it. First, it was his stillborn twin-brother Jesse, then their mother Gladys, and now it's my last surviving child. I am not sure how I can go on living without him."

"Elvis is not here in this world physically, but the impact and legacy he left in this world will always be here."

We solemnly followed everyone into Forest Hill. While friends and family members were saying thoughtful things and prayers, my attention span was no longer there. I was staring at the floor and my oldest son, William, must of noticed. He put his arms around me and I just began to silently cry.

We sang a few hymns, some being Elvis's favorite gospel songs. A few of the attendees decided to say some final words about our friend, and everyone cried and laughed together.

Vernon was the last one to say goodbye to his son, and the sight was heartbreaking. When Elvis's mother passed away, he threw himself on top of the casket with uncontrollable tears rolling down his cheeks. This time, it was Vernon. He was broken, lost, and emotionally damaged.

We remembered a man who gave the world his all, and loved and cherished everyone around him. To the world, he was the King of Rock n' Roll, but to us, he was just Elvis. Magnificent, but a human being.

As I walked out of Forrest Lawn with my family, I looked back where my best friend was resting. As a tear rolled down my face, I managed to quietly say a couple words.

"Thanks for being a great friend. I'll never forget you, Elvis."

The End.