Ch. 7: Christmas with The Presley's

So many things happened since I moved to Memphis, Tennessee. I was getting straight A's in all of my classes, even though I missed a lot of school due to being involved with the film, Guys and Dolls. Frank Sinatra, Marlon Brando, Jean Simmons, and Vivian Blaine were only some of the famous stars in the film.

Despite my busy schedule, I was still on the cheerleading team. We would perform every friday night during halftime of each game. I helped choreograph routines and made up cheers with Sloan and Madison, which was very fun. For our dance class, I was currently in charge of dance routines for the Winter dance show. It was very stressful! However, I continued to make a lot of friends at Humes. Most of them were on the cheer team, in my dance class, and guys on the football team. I was always getting followed by football players, trying to ask me out on a date, but the fuss was always broken up by James. I felt like he was always keeping an eye on me, but I didn't mind it. I genuinely liked James.

My mother and Robert got married on October 27, 1955, in Hawaii.! The celebration of their union lasted two days. However, there wasn't an immediate honeymoon afterwards because my mom had to leave to New York for two days.

Elvis had so much going on in his life; personal and career-wise. Elvis and Dixie broke up in October while he was on tour. His popularity was growing rapidly, and when I talked to him on the phone, there were certain moments that showed he was highly stressed. He missed his parents; especially his mother, Gladys. I assured him his mother was doing fine and I spent a lot of time with her after school. Later in the year, James Dean passed away, which saddened Elvis. Dean was one of his favorite movie icons. In other news, Colonel Tom Parker was now Elvis's manager, and Elvis had recenlty signed with RCA. So, that was exciting news!

Fast forward to December 20th, 1955, I helped my mother decorate our house for Christmas. While I was hanging stalkings near the fireplace, my mother interrupted me.

"Lillian, don't overdo the decorating. It's not necessary."

I looked at my mother with a confused look on my face.

"It's going to be Christmas, mother. Why not decorate? Back in California, we would have huge parties and celebrate with friends and family."

"I know. But you see, Robert and I are planning to go to Hawaii for our late honeymoon."

My first Christmas in Memphis would just be me and Jack around our fireplace. Alone. What were we going to do? Jack would probably invite friends and go out, while I was in my room listening to records all by myself. Great.

"Is anyone going to watch us?"

"Aunt Audrey says she might be able to come. If she does, she and your cousin Richard will be here. Uncle Ray is up in New York and is unable to make it."

I had to think of a better idea. If I remember correctly, my Aunt Audrey was a very sociable person. I thought she would ignore me and Jack while she was supposedly watching us and her son. I knew she had to come, but what could make our time with her shortened?

Me: "What if we spent most of our time with Mr. and Mrs. Presley? Aunt Audrey can still come, but she would only have to maybe cook some meals and supervise us when we are at home."

Mother: "That is alright with me, but you will have to ask the Presley's first."

I headed to Elvis' house. I was greeted by Vernon, who just came home.

Vernon: "Hi Lilly, how are you?"

Me: "I'm doing fine today, thanks for asking, Vernon. I recently found out that my mother and my stepfather are going to Hawaii for their late honeymoon trip for two weeks. My Aunt Audrey and baby cousin Richard are coming, but I feel like we'll be ignored, including my cousin."