Ch. 26: Reuniting with His Old Flames

Two months after Rita's birth, I spent most of my time at home, taking care of my children in California. James's football season hadn't ended, so he was rarely home. We talked on the phone every day and I gave him updates on the children. We all wished he was home! My sister-in-law, Madison, was staying at our house while she was pregnant. Jack and James were both playing for the Green Bay Packers, so Madison and I decided it was best for us to stick together as well.

One day, an unexpected visitor came to my door with my mother. It was Erin, one of Elvis's ex-girlfriends! I was very close with her when they dated. I hadn't seen Erin since 1962, which was 3 years ago. She was now happily married to Thomas Brewer, a football player playing for The Cleveland Browns.

"Hello Erin, how are you? It's been a while since we've seen or spoken to each other. Please come in."

"Thank you. It's been a couple of years since we've seen each other. You still look young and beautiful. Elvis's song, "Young and Beautiful" describes you so well. Congratulations on your new addition to the family. She looked so beautiful in the papers. I was hoping on meeting all of your little ones today."

"Thank you for your kind compliments about daughter and myself. My sons are in the backyard playing football. Mother, why don't you and Erin sit outside at any one of the tables while I get food, drinks, and Rita."

My mother nodded. "Ok Lilly, I'll introduce Erin to the boys."

After I had got everything prepared, which included changing Rita into an outfit Priscilla bought for her, I headed outside. Erin immediately got up and begged me to let her hold Rita, as if it was forbidden to come in contact with my daughter. Just like everyone else, her eyes sparkled in fascination as she held Rita. But, I realized there was something about her eyes that told a story, or how she felt at the moment. She finally broke her silence.

"I always imagined me and Elvis having a little one of our own. I had this gut feelin' that it would never happen. With Colonel, numerous girls, and his hectic schedule, things just fell apart."

"You still have your opportunity to have children of your own with your husband. I bet they will be cute kids."

"I know, I'm looking forward to that happening. I hope you don't mind me wondering but.. how's Elvis?""

"He's doing well. His schedule is still packed, and he's constantly shooting movies. He visits my family often whenever he's in Los Angeles. We visit him during the summer and winter time."

"Is he still with that girl from Germany? Priscilla?"

"Uh.. Yes, he is."

From that point on, Erin and I had a deep conversation about Elvis. She revealed her first opinions about me, and what she knew about my friendship with Elvis. It was revealed that Elvis talked about me to Erin, and he was always praising everything about me. My personality, talent, choices, and appearance were all praised by Elvis, which made Erin jealous at first. It also lowered her self-esteem, which I felt bad for her. It was kind of interesting when she told me this because I never sensed jealousy or hatred towards me.

She reminded me about the time I told her nothing was going on between Elvis and Priscilla. She knew I was telling the truth, but knew that I would protect Elvis. She said, "I knew you were telling the truth, but you were protecting Elvis a little bit. I sensed that you had suspicions about his relationships .."

After Erin and I finished our conversation and she headed home, I got a phone call from a familiar woman who was also in Elvis' life before Priscila. Gabby. She called me to ask if I would be her maid of honor at her wedding in August! She was engaged to Matthew Walters, a psychologist. I was obviously honored, but I was busy with my baby and trying to get back in shape. She told me to spend as much time with my daughter and getting back into gear. Wedding rehearsals wouldn't be until mid-July, so I accepted. She also invited my husband and children to her wedding.

In April, I began dancing again. I was on 6-month hiatus, and I missed dancing. I participated at The California Art Institute School for Advanced Dancers, I was surprised to learn that I wasn't rusty. I only attended six classes after deciding to scout another movie and opportunities.

On May 4th, 1965, Elvis and I had a conversation about so many things happening in our lives. We basically poured our feelings and opinions about topics brought upon the conversation. From our families to spiritual topics. All were very important to Elvis, but one subject was something he was dying to talk about. Marriage.

Elvis: "Lilly, I need your opinion about somethin' important. You're my sister that I trust, and I know that you know what mama would approve and what not."

Me: "Sure Elvis. Ask me anything."

Elvis: "Cilla and I have been together for about 6 years, and the Colonel and her parents are askin' when we're gonna get married. It's a crazy idea, I mean we're alright right now. Plus, I just don't know if I made the right choice."

Me: "You're bound to marry and have children of your own sometime. Look, if you didn't really love Priscilla, then you would of still be dating or married to Erin. You could of ended the relationship with Priscilla when Ann came along... Maybe you're not ready for marriage yet, but think how happy your mother would of been if you got married and gave her grandkids."

Elvis: "You got a point. I'm bound to marry Cilla. Do you think if I wasn't with Erin and you weren't with James, we would of ended up together? Mama approved of you, and she loved you very much. The daughter she never had is what she called you. I never told ya this, but when I visited her in the hospital, she told me she hoped that you and I would date."

Me: "There could of been a possibility. The timing was off when I first met you. We know so much about each other, and I think dating would of ruined our close friendship. I did love you Elvis, but it's more of a sister/brother love now. Besides, I wouldn't have married James and have three beautiful children."

Elvis: "You always have a damn good point Lilly. You know that we both loved each other. Thanks for being a good friend. Y'all know that."

Me: "Of course, Elvis."

It was a conversation that Elvis and I needed. It was the first time we both admitted we loved each other more than friends when we were young, and the first time he was eager to get girl advice from me.

On June 2, 1965, Jack and Madison welcomed twin girls to the family. They were the most prettiest twins I've ever seen in my family. Finally, Rita would have not one, but two playmates. June 11th was when Molly gave birth to twins; a boy named Mason, and a girl named Addison. That was the first time I met Molly's husband, Jacob. They were unique names in the 1960's but they were likeable names to all.

In July, my manager Cheyenne revealed that she was expecting her third child with her husband! I was so excited for her. We agreed that when she was about 7 months, she would take 5-months off. My mother would become my part-time manager after that.

On August 24, 1965, I attended Gabby's wedding in New York City. It was elegant, and there were only close friends and family there. She looked beautiful in her wedding dress, and I approved of the dress I wore. It was fun, and James and the boys loved it.

A lot was happening in 1965. Reuniting with Elvis' old flames was the ironic part of that year.